• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Multi room MCE

R

redbondc

I am looking to set up a multi room AV system in my house as I have the floors up for another reason so seems like a good time to do it! I have an amp which can do powered multizone audio, and a media network system which I can distribute audio and video through. I have an MCE box which will have my music / TV etc. What I cant get my head around is whether it is possible to play different video / audio in different rooms using MCE, without an extender. Making the assumption that I would want 2 different things playing simultaneously, eg 2 audio tracks, 2 videos from hard disk, does anyone know if this is possible and with what hardware / software?

R

redbondc

By the way, I am of course aware that I will need another PC to access things in the other room, but I want to know if I can get 2 audio / video streams coming from my master PC, even if it is initiated from a different PC, as only the master PC will feed audio through the main amp.

MacBurp

You can do this without an extender, but you cannot share live TV across your network. The capability to do this was to be the main feature of 'softsled' , but this is vapourware right now.

Why not do it with an extender? The Xbox360 works well as an extender.

regards,
Paul

R

redbondc

I wouldnt mind doing it with an xbox extender, but am I correct in thinking that the audio would then need to come from the 360 for room 2, or is it possible to control audio for the main system from the extender, so that I could have 2 audio feeds coming from the main system into my amp?

R

redbondc

I havent as I was new to HTPCs when I built mine and wanted something easy. Does it do the things I want out of the box? Does Sage now do everything that MCE does or would I have to supplement it with other software?

MarkSS

PVR features of Sage are great but the music/pictures stuff is still lacking. There is a major release about to be released which we're hoping is going to resolve this.

What I'm not entirely clear about is how your intending to use the system. Are you wanting the audio to be routed via the master amp, rather than too the client PCs? If so I can't think of anyway this could be done, you'd be better off having clients (PCs or media extenders) and then feeding audio/video from there.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom