Multi-Room cabling advice.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by TJP32, Sep 11, 2007.

1. TJP32

TJP32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in the middle of an extensive renovation/extension project and have decided (budget willing) too future proof the house with a network infrastructure. Dead easy job as there is no plaster on the walls or ceilings. My requirements are as follows:
    1. 5.1 system in the lounge
    2. Video and audio in the kitchen/diner
    3. Video and audio in the master bedroom
    4. Capabilities for video and audio in 3 kids rooms and one guest room at later date.
    5. Sky/FM Radio distribution throughout (if possible)
    6. Data points in each room (8 in total)
    7. Facility to watch main video source in any room
    8. Local inputs into multiroom system
    9. Able to add music server/video server at later date.
    10.Link CCTV into TV's.

Questions are:
    1. If it were your house what is the minimum number of network points you would have in each room.
    2. Was pretty much sold on the OPUS 500 multiroom but have been shown the Systemline modular and not sure which would serve me best. Have been told that the video distribution through the systemline is poor - is that true?
    3. What should I be putting in the house as an absolute minimum (cable wise) as I would hate to have to add further cable at a later date?
    4. Been given a ball park figure of between £1400-£1800 to supply and fit all the cabling needed - does that sound about right?

Any helpful tips or hints would be greatly appreciated as my head is exploding. :lease:

I'm in East London/Essex borders if that helps anyone who may be interested in a job in a few weeks time. :smashin:

Cheers

Tony

2. peevo

peevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    1. 4 minimum in living room, 2-4 in all other rooms allow for future room changes.
    2. Lexcom Home is another option they all have their flaws but lexcom home should not be ruled out (pm me if you need an authorized installer to give you a demo and quote or if you need to know more).
    3. This is dependent on what you plan to install but as question 1 then obviously the audio cabling too.
    4. Looks a good price.

3. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The Lexcom Home audio system is just Systemline rebadged and I would say they are all on a par with each other in terms of audio quality.

Video quality will also be similar as they all use the same 'composite' video signal type.

£1400+ sounds ok, but I would make sure it is a generic wiring standard rather than one for just a single music system. It will give you far more flexibility if you wanted to up grade.

Vex.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Also having 4 network points is great but its not that simple location is critical, as is where it goes too.......... all back to one place isnt always what you need. Have a search on A-BUS which the system that all of these cheap systems is built on (Octopus, Modular, Jamo, Cambridge audio clones) TO do what you want to do is easy, to do it well not so,