Multi-room AV receiver

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Damian83, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Damian83

Damian83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! I want to make a multi-room installation and i want to know if its possible this configuration:

1) Standard 5.1 home cinema in living room
    2) Mono speaker in bathroom
    3) Mono speaker in the hall
    4) 2 stereo speakers in bed room
    5) Independent volume setting for each zone (bath and hall can be regulated togheter as one zone, but i want the speakers will be double mono instead of stereo)
    6) Different inputs for the each zone, example: movie in living room and soft, very low, music in bath and hall

Are there AV receivers capable of this?? thanks

EDIT: almost forgot. i saw there are single STEREO speakers, meaning that i can wire them with 2 wires and using it as one zone. is there a way to split wiring in order to have 2 stereo speakers on same zone?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Rather than getting an AVR use Sonos

Sonos Connect connected to 5.1 AVR
    Sonos Connect :Amps for each zone (supports up to 2 x Pairs of Stereo speakers)

3. Damian83

Damian83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what specific product do u intend for "sonos"?

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Sonos is the product www.sonos.co.uk

In your case one Sonos Connect for the 5.1 area linked to a 5.1 AVR (we recommend Yamaha) and then 2 x Sonos Connect:Amps for the other zones. Then Ceiling or wall speakers

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Personally I would go for an AVR in the main room and then Sonos in the others since I do not rate the Sonos 5.1 system compared to a standard AVR.
    You can get multi zone AVRs but a lot are limited to only analogue inputs for the additional zones. The ones that do allow digital inputs tend to be higher end models so cost a bit. Also the operation of the additional zones can be clunky so not the most user friendly. You would also need to consider how you would get volume control in the additional zones without line of sight to the AVR. A centralised system sounds appealling in concept but the reality of trying to do it from one AVR is often not that great.

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I wasnt advocating the Sonos 5.1 system but connecting a SONOS connect to a proper 5.1 AVR

7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I misread what you said. sorry

8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  9. Damian83

Damian83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sonos option discarded, as ill have different sources for AVR and sonos. an option that ill use often (90% of the time) will be music on the 5.1 and same music in hall and bath at a lower volume. and commanding avr from other rooms isnt a problem, all recent avr's, including the one i own, have a smartphone app.
    anyway i prefer spend some more money on the avr than collecting stuff around house

10. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Not sure why you have discarded it as from what you say it would be perfect.

The multi-room AVRs are just not very flexible and just usually a tacked on extra.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    With the majority of 'multi-zone' AVR's you are 'limited' to 'Internal' Sources plus Sources connected to the AVR Analogue Inputs when listening in Zones B+C.

Assuming the above 'limitation' is not too difficult for you to work around you then need to test how well the AVR keeps everything in-sync when you have the same Source in all Zones.

I'd also want to let the family 'road test' the AVR control app!

I'd then take advantage of the SONOS Home Trial option (through a local Dealer if you have one) - I'll guarantee you'll be wondering how many Zones/Rooms you can equip with SONOS and why you ever messed around with the AVR!

Joe

12. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Also if you have the Sonos connect attached to the AVR and Sonos in the other rooms then they could be set up to all play the same source. This is one of the advantages of Sonos in that the different devices can all be synced together so they can all become one zone with one source or multiple zones with multiple sources.

13. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Sonos possy say "give it a go"

14. Damian83

Damian83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont know...looks little "confusing" this sonos...

15. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Far from it , one of the easiest systems to setup

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    Living Room - 1 x SONOS CONNECT via Optical to your AVR
    Bathroom - 1 x SONOS PLAY:1
    Hall - 1 x SONOS PLAY:1
    Bedroom - 2 x SONOS PLAY:1

NOTE - if you prefer In-wall or In-ceiling Speakers you will substitute a CONNECT AMP + installed Speaker(s) for the PLAY:1's in the Bathroom, Hall and Bedroom).

Load the Free SONOS Controller App on to as many iOS, Android, WIN or OSX devices as you have around the house and off you go.

Joe

PS What about the Kitchen/Dining Area - they are often the most utilised Zones?

17. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    10 minutes to set up and then even a child can operate it (my grand daughter could operate from the iPad when she was 4).

John

18. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Interesting, I'd always assumed that a PLAY:1 would be a non starter in a bathroom?

John

19. Damian83

Damian83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for 4x400£ i can buy a better avr than the one i already own... and i dont want "garbage" around the home (one per room!). sorry but as i told in first post, i want to all to be commanded by avr. but it seems, here, all people work for sonos..

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    No we all have experience of trying to use an AVR (any AVR) in a typical family home vs. using SONOS and its simply not a fair 'fight' - the User Experience SONOS offers is in a whole different league to what your AVR can offer.

We (TMF) have used SONOS in small flats through to multi-million £ Stately homes and 'garbage' is not a term I have heard a single client utter.

The 'advice' being given is to have a play with your AVR vs. go experience or go for a home trial of SONOS. - all of us with a house stuffed full of SONOS 'garbage' know which path you will end up going down :)

It is the best bit of Hi-Fi/AV kit I have ever purchased.

Joe

21. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    johndon - it's going to vary between bathrooms, some folk may be better served by a Connect:AMP (somewhere remote) connected to moisture proof speakers.

Joe

22. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Mine is a small bathroom so probably safer to go for the AMP and the speakers...

John

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  23. Damian83

Damian83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fortunately no family there (yet). i'm the only in the home except for when there will be parties, but even in those cases , i rule in my home :) im also a geek so its not a problem for me using an avr from app, even if in 90% of times ill stay in living room so i can use the standard remote

24. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    You seem very closed off from alternatives to the avr route. How long will the speaker cable runs need to be to the other room? Why not just try sonething like the sonos just to see if your preconceived ideas of it are correct. If multi room avrs were a good option do you not think there would be at least one positive post here?

25. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    As above I'd suggest a temporary 'lash up' to allow you to trial the 'useability' of the AVR and then a home trial of SONOS.

It's worth noting that the big AVR manufacturers have 'seen the light' too with the likes of Denon expanding into the multi-room market with its Heos kit which can 'integrate' with its 'multi-zone' AVR's - if the multi-zone option on its AVR's was a viable option to SONOS would Denon spend tens of millions of $$$ trying to develop a competitor to SONOS.

SONOS is a completely new way to enjoy music around your home - it was not conceived to 'compete' with multi-zone AVR's as they have never delivered a good User Experience instead it reduced the cost of a high quality multi-zone system by a factor of ten and added a brilliant User Experience at the same time.

Give it a go :)

Joe

26. MikeIOW

MikeIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Okay, I have zero affiliation with Sonos other other than as a customer.

I'd say go with whatever you wish, you are clearly the ruler in your kingdom!

However, you did come here asking for advice and experience of others......so here's mine:

Have to say we bit the bullet on Sonos this summer and think it is utterly brilliant...
    Yes, we are a happy family of four who all like music...and we all have control via apps on iPads, laptops and phones.
    I think I have educated our kids okay (old teens), and I like their choice of music too....so sometimes they play their spotify, sometimes our iTunes library, sometimes radio .....sometimes all those things in different rooms, sometimes the same in multiple rooms (which is easy to do in any combinations) - there are a lot of ways to source your music.
    ....and I cannot imagine a simpler system to use, nor one that allows you to have all speakers playing the same source in sync (great for parties!)

We've had the music turned down when we were up late with friends & our daughter was in bed (Saturday job the next day).....she texted to say "some of us have work!!" which was pretty funny, but they are smart enough not to mess with things too much!!

So sorry to disappoint you, but my vote is also with Sonos! With a connect for your AV room.

Good luck, share with us what you decided to go with later!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015