Multi-room AV/home automation project

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've been looking more into the VSSL today for my multi room (we have 18 zones wired) solution. And looking at the Audio Control Concert AVR-9 for my Atmos theater, as my basement project is about to be finished in the next month. Hey, I'm retired and this IS my hobby, I don't golf. I'm also looking at Lutron wireless light switches for the basement lighting. I'm rather fascinated, however, by VSSL's ability to stream all internet music or audio via Chromecast, Spotify, and Airplay on a single platform without using some else's app, and to control it all with your smart device OR by voice recognition with Google Home. My wife has a couple of Alexa's around the house and will use those every time over our much better Savant system with in-ceiling speakers. She says, "It's just a lot easier to talk to it". She's a true "techno-tard" and ultimately, I want her to use this stuff. She's like my base level standard of acceptance. If she likes and uses it then it probably works for anyone. I just need a VSSL demo before I dive head first. I'm calling some references next week. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know how it goes.

I've been looking more into the VSSL today for my multi room (we have 18 zones wired) solution. And looking at the Audio Control Concert AVR-9 for my Atmos theater, as my basement project is about to be finished in the next month. Hey, I'm retired and this IS my hobby, I don't golf. I'm also looking at Lutron wireless light switches for the basement lighting. I'm rather fascinated, however, by VSSL's ability to stream all internet music or audio via Chromecast, Spotify, and Airplay on a single platform without using some else's app, and to control it all with your smart device OR by voice recognition with Google Home. My wife has a couple of Alexa's around the house and will use those every time over our much better Savant system with in-ceiling speakers. She says, "It's just a lot easier to talk to it". She's a true "techno-tard" and ultimately, I want her to use this stuff. She's like my base level standard of acceptance. If she likes and uses it then it probably works for anyone. I just need a VSSL demo before I dive head first. I'm calling some references next week. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know how it goes.

What sort of price is VSSL ?

I have been looking at systemline which will work with my Fibaro system

18! Quite the project then, I'd be interested to see how it goes. Always great to see others putting together DIY systems.

Last few days have been somewhat hectic, electricians were trying to get as much as possible completed as they won't be returning for a few weeks.

Looks like the turbo has blown on my car! :eek:

Patio door isn't locking due to the runners either being broken or maybe they need adjusting. As it looks like the whole door needs to be removed I'll have to get someone in for this.

Home Automation

Panel is up, although nothing wired into it just yet.

DSC02731.jpg

I have wired up the mains side ready for the electrician to install the master switch/individual MCBs.

DSC02737.jpg

Triax multiswitch arrived, home my research on all of this is correct! But managed to snap this one up on eBay fairly cheap.

DSC02728.jpg

Been trying to plan how to mount a rack under the stairs while maintaining full access to removing servers and access to the electricity meter.

Pulled some of the plaster off to see what space I have to work with. Considering mounting the 2 switches + patch panels on a fixed few Us directly under the stairs (which will be plastered).

DSC02733.jpg

Then I'm considering somehow building a rack frame which will be mounted on heavy duty rails bolted to the concrete floor which will slide out sideway through the panel on the right in the above photo.

Another angle of that panel (apologies photo taken with a potato). The whole triangle section will be removable, then behind this the rack will be carefully positioned.

19859315_10158879162585548_1731152122_o.jpg

Bonkers? Yep probably!

Living Room

Patio door broken, had to get someone to pick up one of these bolts to secure it until I can get it fixed properly.

IMG_7136.JPG

Reason why I want it secured ASAP

Turns out I have quite a few tools!

DSC02729.jpg

Office

Plasterer started today, ceiling has been over boarded, new plasterboard added around the window and various bits of a bonding coat added.

DSC02739.jpg

DSC02740.jpg

DSC02738.jpg

Office

After much thought, this is going to be a temporary bedroom + office while sorting the other rooms. This means I'll be spending 16-18 hours a day in the same room! Time to go stir crazy!

Hopefully I can paint this sometime next week!

Agreed with the plasterer that starting with the easiest rooms first is the best approach.

DSC02742.jpg

DSC02743.jpg

DSC02744.jpg

Home Automation

Making the most of Prime Day...
  • Philips Hue E27 colour starter set
  • Hue Colour B22 bulb
  • TP-Link HS110 - smart switch with energy monitoring (office)
  • TP-Link HS100 - smart switch
  • Echo dot - figured I'd give this a go for £35, friend has suggested some software for linking to Node Red so should be able to control the Loxone setup via it!
I already have 2 Philips Hue E27 bulbs, 2 Osram Lightify E27 bulbs and 1 Osram Lightify E14 bulb working fine with my existing Hue hub. Also have two existing TP-Link HS100 sockets which are used for local AV power control (power saving).

My reason for using this kit vs Loxone is cost, if you shop around/wait for deals then bulbs can be picked up for £15-20 per bulb. Smart sockets around £16-20 each.

Compare that with Loxone + install costs which are around £35-40 relay/£50 dimmer channel + £30-50 installation. It's just makes so much more sense to use wireless tech here!

Besides floor/table lamps are much better than overhead lighting :)

DSC02745.jpg

That's a good looking (read ambitious) part DIY set up you're going for!
I work in the industry and I would disagree with having volume controls in each room that was previously suggested. If you can stretch to a control or music system that allows you to have zonal music; Sonos being one very well known consideration for the latter, the app will ultimately be a better option than something permanent on the wall that will almost certainly look very dated in a very short time.
If you have any questions feel free to fire them across - I'm interested to see how this project develops.

awesome work so far, looking forward to see how it all comes together.

That's a good looking (read ambitious) part DIY set up you're going for!
I work in the industry and I would disagree with having volume controls in each room that was previously suggested. If you can stretch to a control or music system that allows you to have zonal music; Sonos being one very well known consideration for the latter, the app will ultimately be a better option than something permanent on the wall that will almost certainly look very dated in a very short time.
If you have any questions feel free to fire them across - I'm interested to see how this project develops.

I have decided to go for minimal amount of switches on walls in an attempt to keep the walls free from clutter (came across the term wall acne ha) but run 2-3 cat 5e to switches just in case I change my mind.

I'm going to be using HEOS as it's already built into one of my AV receivers, really impressed with the HEOS Link and app.

What brands of automation do you usually work with?

Slow progress over the weekend due to alcohol :rolleyes:

Hall

Virgin media are coming tomorrow to install internet/TV under the stairs/node 0, originally planned to run conduit up the dining room wall leading to node 0. But as the conduit is quite thick and I'm very quickly running out of room to run cables I had to think of alternatives...

After a fair amount of head scratching and checking where damp-proof layer is (roughly 85mm down) I decided the only option was to channel into the hall floor.

I present the 35mm deep x 40mm wide channel into the concrete floor in the hall. As I don't own an angle grinder I had to improvise.... 100-120 holes drilled with the SDS drill then chisel it out.

Would not repeat!

IMG_7307.JPG

Dining Room

Finished my last tasks here before the plasterer starts this week. Installed 2x Cat6, 2x Coax, 1x Tel for a TV stand in this room. It's going to be my living room for 6-unknown months afterall.

IMG_7311.JPG

Other

Been trying to use the plunge saw properly one of the biggest issues has been supporting the rails/saw, after some Googling I came across this post: Simple Plywood Cutting Table / Work Table (Updated): 6 Steps (with Pictures)

Figured I'd give it a go, few hours later we have this for a total cost of about £45

IMG_7309.JPG

Other

As it's now 10 days until I'll be living in the property, which is a truly terrifying thought given it's current state! I have been investigating ways to keep the dust under control. Basically assuming it will get everywhere no matter what I do, but if I can reduce it by half I'll be happy.

Picked up a few different dust doors off Amazon to try...

True Products B5017C1 Dust Stop Door Pre-Assembled 1 Zip Door Kit with Red Zip - Clear: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

True Products Dust Stop Zip Door Kit - Pre-Assembled for easy installation.: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

IMG_7313.jpg

If anyone has any tips on how to manage dust, it would be appreciated :thumbsup:

After seeing your previous link, I ordered one of these to prevent dust getting in to the rest of the house whilst ripping plasterboard off the walls and ceiling of the soon-to-be dedicated cinema room - True Products Dust Stop Zip Door Kit - Pre-Assembled for easy installation.: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

Works a treat - you can tell how effective it is as the inside of the zip door is now covered in dust, but nothing has made it's way through. I have used masking tape all the way around though, so it's totally sealed.

20170714_130612.jpg

Great to hear :)

Can see myself tripping over that style though.

I thought that, but as I only unzip to get through and then immediately zip back up again, I'm very conscious about stepping 'into' the room. I guess if it was left unzipped then you would trip up sooner or later, but then leaving unzipped would kinda defeat the purpose of it.

Been a very hectic few weeks as I had to move the remainder of my belongings from the rental property over to the new place while try to make one room habitable (office).

Office

This will be my temporary bedroom, office and living room until the other rooms are ready.

Trying to decide on a colour, all of which were a bit dark.

IMG_7336.JPG

In the end I went with Dulux Blueberry White, which I'm still not a big fan of but haven't got time to change it at the moment.

IMG_7338.JPG

First light switch is up :) albeit wonky! The left switch (closest to the door, top/bottom buttons) will control overhead lighting while the right switch (top/bottom buttons) will control ambient lighting such as floor/table lights.

The middle buttons will then be scene up/down. Can't think how else to make use of the 6 buttons!

Doubt I'll be using the LED in these switches

IMG_7353.JPG

Living Room

This is a storage room for now, while wondering around various shops I came across some reduced shelving in Homebase. Figured this would be perfect in the garage once it's secure

IMG_7325.JPG

As I'll be living/working in this house I needed to get my work server setup and running. Couldn't setup this under the stairs due to the dust. Excuse the quality of this photo.

IMG_7347.JPG

Home Automation

Getting this up and running has been a top priority as I can't live in a house without any lights.

Electrician finished wiring the panel on the day I moved in. Not entirely happy with all the excess cable left in the trunking, not a major issue really.

DSC02822.JPG

Took a few hours to get this sorted as after 10-15 minutes powering this up the RCD would trip. After a lot of testing individual lighting circuits it turns out one of the apprentices had wired the bathroom lighting circuit into the original (supposedly dead) wiring for the old lights.

Luckily one of the neutral wires was slightly touching earth somewhere or this would have probably gone unnoticed which is slightly concerning. Professionals heh

Have since gone round and inspected what they did with the cabling.

IMG_7340.JPG

Finally finished running low voltage cables yesterday, here are the cables up into the loft for sat/tv/IP cameras/alarm/Wifi

Anyone want to terminate all of this for me?

IMG_7360.JPG

Looking good.

Are you planning to get Sky Q as that multiswitch will be unlikely to work?

No plans to use Sky Q only Freesat built into the TVs. As long as things can be upgraded later (left a little excess coax) as needed I'm happy.

No plans to use Sky Q only Freesat built into the TVs. As long as things can be upgraded later (left a little excess coax) as needed I'm happy.

Depends on how its configured. You need a different dish and LNB to the normal Sky one as I don't think this one will take the input from a Quad LNB.

The Sky Q hybrid one is different again and if I remember correctly has issues if you try and multiplex it with Freeview from the aerial.

In the end I just ended up getting another dish fitted for Sky Q as it normally has only a twin feed and leaving the main dish as is.

Depends on how its configured. You need a different dish and LNB to the normal Sky one as I don't think this one will take the input from a Quad LNB.

The Sky Q hybrid one is different again and if I remember correctly has issues if you try and multiplex it with Freeview from the aerial.

In the end I just ended up getting another dish fitted for Sky Q as it normally has only a twin feed and leaving the main dish as is.

Ah interesting, well at the moment Sky isn't even on the list. Can only just afford the TV licence never mind any additions :blush:

Maybe the technology will improve to resolve the issues with multiplexing the freeview signal in the future!

Only if they change the frequencies :)

Btw what are you using the Unipi for ?

Only if they change the frequencies :)

Btw what are you using the Unipi for ?

Ah, well I should probably watch less TV anyway :clap:

UniPi is to complement the Loxone setup. Overall Loxone is robust and somewhat flexible, for example theres some support for HTTP APIs (think TVs and AMP controls) but it's not as flexible as NodeJS unless you start diving into writing custom C scripts. Here you'd probably start to hit memory limitations unless you put some serious thought into the scripts. The miniserver only has a measly 400Mhz processor with 64MB of RAM.

Throw the UniPi into the mix, run Node RED on it and I can very quickly throw together custom flows for:
  • Philips Hue
  • Denon/Marantz Amps
  • Sony TVs
  • HEOS devices
  • Arduinos running Firmata (used to control remote relays/RGB lighting)
  • Provide additional I/O to the Loxone, note the number of buttons per room, scene buttons will be done through the UniPi I/O
  • Very cheap RS232 control (£10 USB adapter vs £156 Loxone RS232 extension)
  • APC PDU relay control
  • Anything else I want :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom