Multi room AV and question

Pigyed

Hi,

I am going to be installing a multi room av setup soon but I just wanted a little help first if possible.

The setup will have the following:

Sky+HD
Xbox 360
PS3
Apple TV 2
3 x Sonos Connect Amps

All this kit will be located in a centralised location with the audio being wired to 3 zones with in ceiling speakers and the visual being sent to 4 different locations using a hdmi 4x4 HDbaseT matrix with PoE.

My question is this....is there anyway I could use the in ceiling speakers in conjunction with the tv whilst playing the xbox/ps3 ?
Am I right in thinking that it could all be controlled by a harmony 900 remote ?
What additional kit would i require ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

00Paul00

You should be able to connect the ps3 analogue output to the sonos line in.
I haven't got a ps3 so can't say for definite. Some reading on the sonos forum would firm this up :)

logiciel

Harmony 900 remote controls can take up to 15 devices, and can control them without line of sight by sending the control by wireless and converting that back to IR for emission to them.

Pigyed

pingpong3818 said:
You should be able to connect the ps3 analogue output to the sonos line in.
I haven't got a ps3 so can't say for definite. Some reading on the sonos forum would firm this up :)

Thanks...will look into this further !

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You will also need a Bluetooth adaptor to control the ps3. Logitech make one. I use an ir2bt but I'm not sure if they are still around.

Pigyed

davepuma said:
You will also need a Bluetooth adaptor to control the ps3. Logitech make one. I use an ir2bt but I'm not sure if they are still around.

Thanks for the advice :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'is there anyway I could use the in ceiling speakers in conjunction with the tv whilst playing the xbox/ps3 ?' - the analog Inputs on Sonos Zone Players adds an audio processing delay to the signal, this is not ideal when you are trying to use the system for 'TV' audio!

I would rework your plans with a local Amp/Speaker combination fed from the TV audio Out or utilising an Amp with HDMI In (connecetd to your PoE HDMI Zone Receiver) and a digital audio delay.

You could go with a CONNECT in each Zone as a Source into the Amp?

Joe

Pigyed

I would rework your plans with a local Amp/Speaker combination fed from the TV audio Out or utilising an Amp with HDMI In (connecetd to your PoE HDMI Zone Receiver) and a digital audio delay.

You could go with a CONNECT in each Zone as a Source into the Amp?

Joe

Hi Joe, I am pretty new to this kind of thing so don't fully understand how I would do this...could you recommend any kit ?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
TV Audio - If you wish to supplement the audio in each Zone rather than using the TV speakers (who wouldn’t these days as most flat panel TV’s have horrible audio) then Sonos is not your answer, apart from using one of the New PLAYBAR at each TV!

Sonos Zone Player – other than the PLAYBAR any of the other Zone Players with a stereo line input will cause your audio and video to be out of sync!

Ceiling speakers – not my favourite solution as invariably they point directly down to the floor and don’t give you the sound quality you expect! Plus you can run into sound leakage issues into the room above the installed speakers. There are some higher quality/cost designs which aim the audio into the listening position. Personally I try and avoid in-ceiling where possible.

Soundbar – an HDMI equipped Soundbar in each zone is one option, you can connect a Sonos CONNECT in each Zone to the Soundbar!

2.1 – an option to a Soundbar is an HDMI equipped 2.0 or 2.1 sound system again with a Sonos CONNECT as a local Input to the sound system.

Central audio – if you prefer to keep all of the kit in a central hub you can have multiple Amps (with Sonos CONNECTS as a local source) and run loudspeaker cables out to each Zone, as above I’d go with an On-wall, Bookshelf or Floor standing design over In-ceiling every time.

HDMI Matrix – as above you can connect the Matrix to an HDMI equipped Soundbar or Amp in each Zone and still allow you to share your centralised Sources out to each Zone with IR control of the Matrix, Sources and if preferred centralised Amps!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom