1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Room Audio and Video

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by ukdavros, Apr 26, 2005.

1. ukdavros

ukdavros
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Why is it you can never quite get what you want.
    I am looking to send audio and video to each room in the house, but I have a lot of sources.
    The Nexus multiroom audio and video is looking good at the moment. I did like the idea of the media max, having all my CD and DVD on a PC that could be called up from anywhere. However this doesnt seem to allow for my Laser disk Player and Satellite TV.
    But I guess using the nexus, A Multi media PC could be used as one of my sources, but then is there any decent software available which would show on screens around the house to select films or audio over the nexus system.
    Anybody have any thoughts or input.
    Thanks
    Mark

2. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    mark

have you looked at the opus octopus, for around 1200 quid you can send audio and video sources around the house to a number of zones. These chaps were at the smart home exibit at the NEC last month

simplyautomate.co.uk

only downside at this price you cant get a display screen in each zone.. thats when the price doubles/trebles.

have a look on their site.

3. richardbarman

richardbarman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Opus is good, but it outputs via cat5 to their own amps. If you needed just local line-level audio then you would have problems. If you use their wallplate/amplifiers to power some ceiling speakers, then you'll be OK.

For a purely IR driven audio-video switcher, use the Xantech ZPR68 with some local Ir recievers (like their ir-down-coax 'extralink' jobs). Trouble is with both of these is that they're just composite. For anything better, it's a cat5 system for s-vid, or something really well planned for component.

All really depends on the available cabling.

Richard

4. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The other problem with the opus / qed type systems that have evolved from audio multi room to a video solution is that it only offers video over either the mini coax or the cat5e. There is no audio included with the video signal!

In my mind this is a major error! as it forces you to then install thier propritery speaker and amp solutions to hear what is playing on the tv / monitor.

The nexus is firstly a AV disribution system and secondly a multi room audio system.

Chris

5. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I plan on waiting for hdmi switching amps and then when you can switch all your future hd sources around the house, hdmi cable is dirt cheap and it sends video and audio digitally, so all thats needed is about 4/5 cables out of the amp around the house. This way you have top quality signals and its future proof, i dont see the point in cabelling inferior composite cables around the house and then spend 3.5k on a plasma.

6. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I thought hdmi cable was expensive?

7. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Not sure thats fully correct there Mark!! the video signal is distributed via composite, and Isn't that the whole point of multi room, you select your source from the keypad and the the sound comes from the descrete ceiling speakers and the picture from the LCD or plasma in the room. With the Opus you don't need to install "their" speakers as the amps will drive any set of speakers

8. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The opus and qed systems I was reffering to were the Octopus and Modular ranges respectively, which are a comparable price to the Nexus. The issue is that the video signal is, as you say composite but over a different cable to the audio signal which in my mind is an issue. Especially if you are up grading from the orginal audio only systems and can't add any more cables

What happens if you don't want or can not afford descrete speakers in the ceiling?

I agree that my wording should have read Speaker or Amp solution though.

9. Ewmacg

Ewmacg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my new pad wired for QED Systemline. I have been trying to find some info on the Multisource system but with little success. Anyone out there in cyberspace put one in and how did it go? What is sound quality like, how easy was it to install etc. I could do with some info before I spend the dosh on the system proper.

10. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
  11. kieranphillips

kieranphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.At the moment there seems to be only expensive solutions.
    Try Cat5e with encoders and decoders for now.

12. hinesle

hinesle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always rip your dvds/music to a PC/MAc and stream music and vid to screens over wireless or cat 5e.

Take a look at the Photobridge by Roku www.rokulabs.com which will do the trick for about £275. The only thing it is missing is HDMI but it has component output.

13. Snow Board

Snow Board

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If this is not to late, contact Blue Ridge Systems, I know they have installed some Systemline Multi source systems and can give you advice if you still need it.

:smashin: