1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi-room Amp/AV Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by piersmcg, Jan 3, 2003.

1. piersmcg

piersmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a budget system consisting of DVD player, and Amp/AV Receiver, but I have a couple of requirements that I can't find information on when phoning RS (too busy at the moment ...), and wondered if the forum would be able to help?

1. I want to be able to have a second pair of (stereo) speakers in another room
    2. I'm not necessarily interested in surround, but may consider upgrading in the future. I already have a pair of Mission 707.
    3. Either I need an Amp/Tuner or AV Receiver.
    4. DVD has got to be able to do CD-R/RW, MP3, photos etc

It seems that AV Receivers is more suited to home cinema than hifi listening, but I can't find much information on which support a second pair of stereo speakers. The only one I'm sure of is the Yamaha RX-V630RDS which seems perfect, and has good reviews. Does anyone know of any others?

As for DVD players, I'm thinking of the Limit DVD9900SE (lots of praise in DVD forum) or the Pioneer DV-656A, but maybe this is something for the other forum.

Advice gratefully received! :confused:

Piers.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Beware using a dvd player for stereo music, esp. the Limit. Most DVD players are shyte at stereo music reproduction. A £100 CD player will be much better. Although they won't do DVD's or photos. :rolleyes: I'd get Tosh 220e and a Sony CD player like the 330 for around £200 together. Both together will eat the Limit, unless you have a plasma?

The Yam amp is a goody & the Sony cd player will make the most of the amps (modest) cd replay vs a dvd player, although all the cinema amps in the Yam's class suffer similarly.

An alternative is a Yamaha 396 stereo amp. If you don't have extra speakers for surrounf yet, this stereo amp has a/b speaker posts/switching ideal for 2 rooms and lots of power for driving 2 sets of (8 ohm) speakers.

3. piersmcg

piersmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I omitted two points: I already have a Mission CD player, so that takes care of the normal CD playback, and I'm also interested in DVD-Audio and SACD. I don't think the Tosh 220E does these?
    (Then again, are these really useful?).

Anybody got a good comparison between CD-R/RW with MP3s and "proper" CDs?

Anybody know any other AV Receivers with multi-room (multi-zone?) capability? Pioneer VSX-D811S?