Multi Region.....

Zog

Established Member
Reaction score
thought I'd make the effort when I bought my DVD player and get a multiregion affair.
4 months later......... not sure why I bothered.
All the discounted discs seem to be R2 and paying an extra £5 to £10 just for that DTS soundtrack or a couple of 7 second scenes cut from the UK release, is difficult to justify.
So far bought 40 to 50 discs and they are ALL R2.
Am I looking on the wrong sites or am I not alone in not being @rsed with R1, R3 or R4 discs?

At least you have the option and it won't matter when you start to trade some discs at a later date.

Sites like EzyDVD

make having a multiregion DVD player worthwhile. Some of the discs are much cheaper than in the UK and the postage is cheap.

Have a look at sites like Play too, some stuff comes out on R1 before R2 as well :D

take a look at cd-wow they have some great deals on non R2 dvds

Originally posted by Zog
paying an extra £5 to £10 just for that DTS soundtrack or a couple of 7 second scenes cut from the UK release, is difficult to justify.

£5 to £10? Where are you looking?

Play are the most expensive R1 suppliers I've ever used, and even they aren't exactly expensive.
CD-WOW are cheap, though not everything is R1.
Future Entertainment is usually just as cheap too.
DVD Box Office, a Canadian company, are also cheap.

There are others, which I'm sure someone will tell you about.

zog - I think things have moved on leaps & bounds from a couple of years ago when R2 really was the poor relation ...
A lot of stuff wasnt even out on R2 and R1 was the only way to go
Now its a case (for me anyway) find what you want on the region you want at the price you want and I dont worry too much if it R1 R2 R3 R4 ...
There are notable exceptions Shaolin Soccer is R3 only (at the mo)
Saving Pte Ryan DTS is not available on R2 but on the other hand the R2 Monsters Inc SE is DTS when the R1 isnt ...
Long may it continue ... Paul ;)

just seen that Reg. 8 is used solely for airlines and cruise lines... now I challenge anyone to find a 'source' for these discs

There sill is disks that can only be bought in a different region.

Originally posted by James45
just seen that Reg. 8 is used solely for airlines and cruise lines... now I challenge anyone to find a 'source' for these discs

Region 7 gets me Reserved :eek:

For what :confused:

Originally posted by James45
You wouldn't want to buy disks from this region. Final Destination would have the whole beginning missing, passenger 57 would be about two min's long. Speed 2 and Deep Rising and Titanic would be about 30 seconds long.:D

You can't show air crashes or hijacking on planes or boats sinking or being hijacked on ships.:p :D Strange but true.

region 7... for space shuttle :)

Originally posted by kevb
You can't show air crashes or hijacking on planes or boats sinking or being hijacked on ships.:p :D Strange but true.

Makes bloody sense to me :D

Originally posted by othello
region 7... for space shuttle :)

I guess they'll not be watching Alien or Apollo 13 then :p

Originally posted by Zone
Makes bloody sense to me :D
It would be well funny.:D Can you imagine the looks on peoples faces during Final Destination. :eek:

Originally posted by Zone
Region 7 gets me Reserved :eek:

For what :confused:

That'll be for a new US controlled region, formerly know as 'The Middle East', which is about to begin creation in the next couple of weeks ;)

Didn't there used to be a site that compared region 1 to region 2 disks?

I guess they'll not be watching Alien or Apollo 13 then

I remember on the news that the space station was getting DVD's to stop astronauts from getting bored.

Selections they asked for included Alien, Event Horizon and Starship Troopers.

Thanks 4 that bh

Kinda a newbie question this one :blush: but I've searched quite hard for a definitive answer and still haven't found it yet.

When people compare releases from different regions on this forum I get the feeling that the main concern is, aside from the dts soundtrack on R1 DVDs, the quality of the transfer. Therefore am I correct in thinking that the vertical resolution of the DVD players output is independent of the fact that R1 is intended for NTSC TVs and R2 for PAL and there is no distinguishable difference with regard to picture quality?

Thanks

Ross

no - there is a difference in the lines of resolution output by NTSC and PAL through the DVD player. With regards to picture quality this will only usually effect people with large RPTVs or PJs although many people prefer to buy R1 NTSC discs (which in fact have a lower resolution) because they say the quality of the mastering is much higher thus producing a better transfer with regards to picture quality.

Remember there is also a difference in playback speed between R1 NTSC and R2 PAL as well. I won't go into the reasons why but PAL plays back 4% faster than NTSC, so the same film will be 4% shorter in PAL than a NTSC version. Those with bat-like hearing claim to be able to hear the pitch difference caused by this speed up and so prefer R1 for that reason.

And lastly there is also a visual 'stuttering' effect caused by the NTSC playback system which is most obvious during camera pans.

But to be completely honest with you I use a 28" w/s telly and have many R1 discs but have never noticed any of these effects and usually only buy R1 or R4 to get a release before it comes out in the UK.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom