Multi-region/Zone 4K Blu Ray Player

gaz2k21

Novice Member
Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded to a 4K TV and would like a 4k Player to go along with it, problem is I have alot of import blu-Rays/DVD's I'm in the UK so my native region is 2 and Zone is B, I have a large amount of DVD's from various Regions and I have quite a few Zone A Blu-Ray's I'm looking for an "All in one solution" to save space and HDMI Ports (My current set up involves a PS4 for Region2/Zone B and a separate Blu Ray player that has been modded to play Zone A and any region DVD).

Are there any reccomendations? I've seen a few webites selling chipped players but the mark-up is crazy

Thanks for your help

mckee74

Distinguished Member
The mark up is crazy as choices are limited. It's not like you can go Curry's sadly.

Keep an eye on eBay but places like TPS are going to charge a premium. Frankly, I think it's worth it for the convenience.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
To make a BD player region free for BD requires a hardware modification, which
a) requires the thing to be partly dismantled and extra components to be added (which may be a skilled operation)
b) invalidates any manufacturer warranty so the seller typically provides their own or an insurance based alternative - again a (latent) cost
so a noticeable markup is at least partly justified - quite unlike the remote firmware "hacks" that were typical for DVD de-regioning.

Two suppliers I am aware of - there are probably others - where you can see which models they do as modified. Go through these catalogues (and/or any others you find) and then revert to reviews/specs for the off-the-shelf product to decide which machine. The modification does not affect the machine's underlying performance and features.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom