1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Region upgrade for Denon DVD2900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jeff D, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a Denon DVD 2900 (European version with SCART) which only plays Region 2 DVD's at the moment. I would like to make it multi-region which I understand can be done using a firmware upgrade. I have found a file on an italian site which is said to do this (by burning it onto a CD). It can be found here: www.afdigitale.it/ (navigate to firmware>DVD video> then select Denon 2900. The file is named PDH29VND.CPN
    Some other sites also point to this source.
    It has been quoted that this upgrade will also enable PAL progressive scan although this feature is not that important as I have an Hitachi 42PMA400E which uses ALIS interlacing.
    Has anyone got any experience of this upgrade? Does it cause any problems and will it void my warranty?
    It would be really useful if I could play Region 1 DVD's on the player as there are so many early releases around.

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Put it like this - if you apply the upgrade and the machine dies on you, you won't get a lot of sympathy from Denon.

Jasonjo on this forum runs the Denon 3800 site and may know whether or not this Italian site is kosher. If hew doesn't post here you could PM him. Applying any downloaded software is never risk free.

Have you spoken to the dealer who sold you the player?

Very helpful to me in the past on firmware upgrades was creative audio in Shrewsbury. Don't know how helpful they would be if they didn't supply the machine though.

3. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks philipb for the warning.

The italian site seems to be referred to from various sources but I know that is no insurance. I'll pm jasonjo to see if he has any ideas and I'll look at creative audio to see if they have any useful info.

I'm sure there must be lots of folk out there looking to make their 2900 multi-region so hopefully someone out there can give some advice.

Thanks again. I'll report back if I get anywhere.

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Sorry guys, as I put in my PM to Jeff I have no knowledge of the 2900 unfortunately :( - although I know that the 3800 firmware was once hosted on the italian site and did seem pretty cosher from what I remember...

JJ

P.S. Maybe worth a quick scan of my 3800 site though, as the firmware upgrade warnings should be the same and the firmware procedures are likely to be very similar too...

5. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Jason for the reply.
    After Philip's advice, I contacted Creative Audio who were kind enough to reply. They actually market their machines as multi-region and said that they do upgrade the firmware before they send them out but will only do this on the machines they sell. Understandably, they won't supply the CD ROM separately. My own supplier has now offered to send me the file on CD ROM with instructions to do this myself. It may well turn out to be the same file as I found on the italian site. He has warned me that this may void the warranty with Denon.
    The whole business of multi-region seems to be a mess!
    What I find harder to understand is why PAL progressive does not appear to be already enabled out of the box although I believe this can be done simply by pressing the right key sequence on the front panel.
    If anybody has anything to add to this debate, I'd be glad to hear.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The situation with multi-region is actually very simple :) .. it breaks the terms of the license a manufacturer has with the DVD Forum to ship a region-free/multi-region player, as doing that bypasses the monopoly enjoyed by the film studios to charge users different prices in different parts of the world.

Thus, no manufacturer who wants to stay in business will dare ship one in that state, many provide 'secret' ways for customers to unlock, some like Denon don't and it needs a firmware update to do it .. thereby voiding the warranty.

The 2900 is well known for having problems once unlocked, just search round here and you'll see a number of threads discussing this issue.