1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multi region softwarefor pioneer 108

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hammy2891, Nov 27, 2004.

1. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi !
    need help in selecting software to deal with the region coding resetting on a pioneer dv108,what is best?what do members use with theres?,is it stable? etc.

2. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnx ultim8fury,
    does this deal with the playing of different region dvd as well as the burning of,sorry to be thick but only really need the former,the latter being a bit of a bonus.

4. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I wouldnt bother.

Use AnyDVD - Not only will it make it region free but it will remove macrovision, adverts, pcfriendly etc.

I find it hard to understand why people still try and flash their drives?

5. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run a non window OS on my pvr box ( hell, all of my boxen ) which is why I flash my drive. Given thats its illegal to play encrypted DVDs on linux anyway the linux software removes the vast majority of that stuff but the drive itself is the only barrier. So flashing it is the only option.

Anyway.
    flashing it will improve burning speed on non-pioneer-approved media and increase ripping speed and remove region coding. So its still worth doing. have a thorough read of the rpc1 doc/forums before attempting it though so you know what to expect.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If it's just for multi-regioning I use AnyDVD, it has many other benefits apart from defeating region coding ... OTOH if you want to remove the 2x rip-lock then you need to flash.

I've done that too using >NIL:'s hack simply to remove the rip-lock, but I've never understood the desire to want to burn media at speeds in excess of what the drive was calbirated for .. a bit like overclocking I guess, I don't see the need for that either. :)

7. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnx guys
    it really is just for playing dvds so i guess anydvd will suffice,but i will book mark nils page for flashing the drive,just in case.

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    One nice feature of AnyDVD to those with a mixed R1 and R2 collection is that it can run a program when a DVD is inserted or removed and by default it sets the refresh rate to 72 or 75 as appropriate which can be very useful if you have a display that can vary refresh according to video standard being played.

10. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    AnyDVD costs some $ 39.00 compared to free for flashing you drive so there seems to be a pretty big negative right there. As mention above flashing also tends to remove some ripping and burning restrictions in addition to making the drive multi-region.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's if you consider c. £25 a big negative point :) .. I like the ability to skip ads/trailers and switch refresh rates.

12. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Kragorn - thats the problem in this world. People dont like to spend any money on anything no matter how good it is. People spend hundreds\thousands of pounds on HTPC and the like and then quibble over £25 for a fantastic program that does everything you could ask of it.
    They forget they most probably just installed cracked versions of XP Pro, PowereDVD or the like etc etc which wouldve cost them hundreds of pounds in total.

Bah - thats my moan for the day. ;)

The world just gets worse.

13. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Erm.. drummerjohn as I raised the point about cost I think your response was directed at me so let me reply. I only raised the issue because the cost of buying an additional program has to weighted against it's features particularly when a free alternative, being flashing the drive, is readily available if all you need is to make your drive multiregion. I have nothing to apologies for if I question whether a prgram is worth £10, £20 or £100; you might have money to throw away but unfortunately I certainly do not and so £25 is far form a drop in the ocean.

Now about your warez comment, do you not think if I were using warez copies of WinXP, nVidia codec or Zoomplayer (my current HTPC setup) I would not quibble over £25 for a program that you can undoubtable get a dodgy copy of also? The reason why I raised the issue of the price was exactly because I expect people are going to pay for the program, now if your not then there is no issue of price. You argument makes no sense.

I stand by my original comment, if all your looking for is to make a drive regionfree and do not particularly rate the importance of the other fetaures offered by AnyDVD then flashing is a cost effective alternative that works 100%. Not only that but flashing also removes some of the ripping/media burning limitations placed on original manufacturer firmwares which anyDVD does not.

Now, having said that, the ideal solution would be to flash your DVDR+/- drive if you wish to gain the additional firmware funtionality and then use AnyDVD for it's software features. Personally, although I can see the benefits of AnyDVD I still question don't think it is worth £25 to me regardless of how much money I spent on the hardware and software in my HTPC.

14. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    lmao - admittedly it was partly directed at you - a very small part at that. I read a lot of forums and see a lot of moaning about cost (not that yours was a particular moan) of software and "how can I do this fantastic job for nothing" attitude.