Multi Region ready DVD Player/Recorders from online shops query

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MLAM, Aug 1, 2005.

1. MLAM

MLAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi,

I was intending on getting a Panasonic DMR-ES10 or a DRM-EH50 until I discovered Panasonic machines are not as easily able to be made multi region.

I noticed on some etailers that I can purchase that particular player already multi region, I was just wondering whether they get special stock from panasonic or when you buy one they will open it up and do some soldering? Or they have special software?

Hope for some information soon

Many thanks

2. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,603
    You can mod it with a special remote. They've probably got one of theose, open it up zap it with the remote and away you go.

3. MLAM

MLAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thans for the reply,

Can anyone who has bought a DVD recorder which is multi region ready confirm whether it arrived to you factory sealed or it looked like the company had opened the box and modded the player/recorder and popped it back into the box.

thanks

4. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,603
    Got an ES-10 last week free with my plasma, the box had indeed been opened, I know because they'd put a scart lead that I'd also ordered inside, wasn't expecting it to be multi-region but was pleasntly surprised to find it was :)

5. MLAM

MLAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Ah cool

Where did you order your plasma from if you dont mind me asking? :)

6. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,603
    www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk

£2299 (PV4200) with the pedestal stand, I think they do the wall mount for £2199 and the cabinet for £2399, maybe not the cheapest around, but they had stock (the pedestal stand is in short supply, apparently), quick to respond to emails, delivered bright and early the morning after I ordered it, very pleased, with them and the plasma :)

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    IMO, there is benefit in buying a pre-modified machine (as opposed to modifying it later) and that is - a single point of comeback in the event of failure.

Buy a R2 machine, and do a separate mod - and you might end in a situation where the original supplier blames the mod for the failure, and the modifier denies it, blaming the product itself.

8. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,603
    Agreed, at least if you buy pre-modded you still get the minimum 1 year guarantee from wherever you bought it.

9. MLAM

MLAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    THanks for the reply guys

@Gooner

How have you found the REcorder so far?

I have read it does not send out the W/S signal when watching a retail DVD via scart?

Can anyone else confirm this? Or have Panasonic corrected this now?

Many thanks

10. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,603
    Haven't got around to actually recording anything on it so far,(got a TiVo and Sky+ already :) ) so can't comment on that.

I haven't noticced any W/S switching problems with retail DVDs, this is through component, which is running progressive scan and looks excellent, I can't imagine it would have any trouble doing the same via scart.

I did read in the manaul that it won't record in 16:9 on anything but DVD -RW, not sure why, but as I said I've yet to test the recording.

As a player it seems to be lacking some basic features that I've been used to, nothing major but missing nonetheless. Doesn't resume playing from where you left off if you switch the machine off, no way to display time remaining when playing back on either chapters or total time remaining, also, unless i've missed it, there doesn't seem to be any way to go directly any specific time when playing back. So as I said nothing major but niggling not to have after you've been used to them.

Progressive is nice, but as I don't really use the recorder at the moment (getting my aerial sorted at the weekend so I can get Freeview on the plasma, so may use it to record that) if it hadn't of been free I doubt if I would have kept it, YMMV of course.