1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi-region players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Grand Dizzy, May 11, 2005.

1. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just wondering...

I notice there are now LOADS of suppliers who offer multi-region DVD players. This wasn't the case a few years ago when I bought my last player. I got really frustrated because I couldn't find anyone who offered it, so in the end I just got a region 0/regionless player.

Just wondered what is different now - did the movie companies used to pay dealers not to do this too, or has it just become a lot easier for dealers to do now, with more websites about it etc?

I was also wondering, are there any manufacturers who don't go along with the region coding scheme, and make actual proper multi region players? Or is the huge cash pay-off by movie companies too tempting?

And how big is this huge wad of cash, anyway? I would imagine it started off really big, but now more people are offering multi-region modding, it's going down, because there wouldn't necessarily be a massive increase in sales for making a player truly multi-region.

Is this thread too long and boring?

2. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Region coding was brought on by the studios to protect copyright/distribution etc.
    Multiregion was brought on by us, the paying public, no multiregion, no sale.
    How it is done depends on the manufaturer, but no machine is openly sold as MR, it may be modded or delivered by the retailer or even out of the box. To remain within DVD spec it needs to support region coding, or claim to!.
    If the public wants something, someone will sell it. Australian players ship MR, I believe, due to potential legal suites re. monopolies.