1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multi region on e85h

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tallyho-aus, Jun 25, 2005.

1. tallyho-aus

tallyho-aus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it possible to get this recorder into multi region mode? cheers.. an englishman in aussie.. :)

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yes it is possible but the Panasonics can only be turned multiregion by use of a special hacked remote control that you can rent for one off use then return. There are UK based companies that provide this service not sure about Oz though.

S.

3. tallyho-aus

tallyho-aus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for reply.. funny thing is i tried region 1 -2 and 4 and they all worked..so it must be region free... :)

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Bargain! :thumbsup:

S.

5. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A few years ago, Australia's consumer watchdog body suggested that region coding might be anti-competitive and therefore illegal.

I don't know whether that suggestion became enshrined in legislation, but I have a suspicion that all DVD players sold here (Aus) in the last few years have been region-free out of the box, even though the box is labelled Region 4.

Certainly at that time when I was shopping for a player, I found some major stores were modifying all their stock. And all 4 machines I've had since then have turned out to be region-free, including a Tosh XS32 and a Panny E85.

6. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I have not checked the coding on my DVDs (in case it is the disks and not the players) but I can't help but notice that the boring screens of white text that come up when starting a/many region 2 DVDs (copyright stuff) includes a page specifically for Australia. They wouldn't put that on unless the disk was playable in that market would they ? ? ? And by putting that page on the disk the studios are publically recognising and condoning the fact that in OZ (region 4) you can play region 2 disks.
    Of course if it is the players in OZ not being allowed legally to single region then it just shows that not everyone rolls over to Hollywood/the big manufacturers.
    GB does roll over of course...