Multi Region on a PC

monkeyleader

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Sitting in Houston at the moment and just got myself a feww dvds - to pass the time today id love to watch em on my laptop - Dell D600 but of course it will be region coded to region 2 - any software out there that can reset to region1 so I can watch these ?

Nigel

you need to upgrade the firmware of your pc dvd rom drive to a region free one. Normally a pc dvd rom drive will allow you to change to a different region 5 times and then it locks to the last region dvd you put in. You also need a program to reset the software region counter for most dvd player applications such as windvd or powerdvd.

i expect that one might be region 1 or region 2 depending on the dvd you installed it from. you still need to sort out the firmware first though, which means you need to know the model of dvd drive in your pc, which it may tell you in the device manager.

So I went into device manager and it says the DVD drive is setup to region 1 and I can change it 4 more times .. perhaps its not a region problem but something else ?

The drive is a Samsung CDEW / DVD SN 324F

Nigel

I didn't change the firmware on my drive.
I just installed some software called 'DVD Region free', told it which applications it should run along side.. e.g. Power DVD, and bobs me uncle.

It now plays everything including RCE with none of the risks associated with hacking your drives firmware.
Also, it'll work with any drive I install in the future... no need to firmware hack ever again!

yeah that is a simpler solution, but it doesnt work on all dvd drives,as some of them still count down and lock if they have a hardware counter.

if you feel like flashing your drive's firmware, have a look around this site for the necessary files/instructions http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

since your dvd player is set to region 1 and won't play a region 1 dvd, it could be that

a) windows' region counter is locked to region 2
b) your copy of interactual is region 2 only

but of course the demo only allows for 20 mins playback

If its dvd regionfree just replace the .exe file that it has installed on installer with the downloaded one and it should work fine.

have you visited VideoHelp lots of various bits of software there, iirc there is a programme called dvdgenie that changes regions for various software.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom