multi region chip ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ted26, May 30, 2003.

1. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am thinking about getting my sony dvp ns700v chipped to play all regions and would like to know anyone who does such work in the yorkshire area?

Should i consider getting a new dvd player or is this machine good enough?

thx

2. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not sure whether 'chipping it' is the only way to get it multi-region . a lot of the time these hi-fi stores/dealers make it sound as if you need a chip to 'unlock' the player whereas all they do is feed in a code from the remote control to unlock it! (and charge you a bomb!)

I got quoted about £65 for 'chipping' my Samsung DVD-511 in order to make it region free . did a bit of research on the net and found out it could be unlocked with my remote control!

Hence fed the code in myself and it's worked fine since then...been a couple of years now...

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Older Sonys did need a physical chip to make them MR and it used to be quite expensive (about £100 for my old player four years ago). They can be hacked but not as easily as Philips et al, phone around a few smaller dealers - someone will do it for you. As to changing your player - if you're happy with the picture quality then it's probably not worth it (unless it will cost a fortune to get a hack done)

4. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
  5. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :clap: thx adrenochrome

I think i can manage to solder that in place :D

6. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Generally DVD players from the larger electronic firms - who coindicently are members of the DVD forum (i.e. Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba, Panasonic et. al) will need to be chipset modded. Certainly that is my experience with Sony, Pioneer and Toshiba players.

7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If you have/have access to a palm, or similar, there is an IR hack that you can use to make the NS700 (or any other "NS" series platyer for that matter) multi region.

Details of it can be found in this thread
    here - look for "ste1010's" reply about half way down the page for concise details. Alternatively, the dvdchips "hire remote" is your best bet.

There's certainly no need to "chip" the player as such - solderless upgrades are becoming more and more common, and IMO are a far better means of acheiving the same aim - you know that 3rd parties haven't been digging around in your machine at least :) Most new players have some sort of handset, or firmware hack for MR capabilities now :)

K.