Question Multi Region Blu Ray Player Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bakey, May 6, 2019.

1. Bakey

Bakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    I've been thinking of getting a multi region blu ray player for a while and have recently been looking again. We don't have a 4k TV and have no immediate plans to get one at the moment but who knows when this will change. Therefore I'm wondering if it's worth just going for a 4k multi region player now to future proof it (TPS offer a 3yr warranty). Will there be any other benefits (audio etc, I have a Yamaha YAS-107 soundbar) if I get a 4k player now? If I do I'm looking at something like a Panasonic UB-450EB. Or am I better off either just going for a standard multi region player or hanging on until I do have a 4k TV? I currently have a Sony Bdp-s3500, need a player with WiFi as the router is upstairs.

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,919
    A blu ray player will certainly more than fill your needs, even when you go for 4K. There is less of a difference between blu ray and UHD than there is between DVD and blu ray. The main benefits that UHD bring is a better colour presentation in HDR 10 and Dolby Vision. As you just have a soundbar then the more prevalent Atmos soundtracks won't effect your choice.

I thought I'd be rushing out to buy UHD discs when I had my 4K TV and 4K player but with a price tag of £25 a title it's simply not worth it.

• Angry Angry x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    I suppose that, if you are "hell-bent" on adopting 4k in due course, then the obvious benefit of getting a player now is that you can begin your collection of discs in readiness for the new display, and even if they come accompanied by a standard BD, you can play the UHD copy now - to ensure it works, while it's still new enough for an exchange. Not that failure rates are high.

That said - gibbsy makes a good point, relevant except in those odd cases where the BD was in some way dismal, and the UHD transfer is new and hugely improved, but not carried over to any reissued BD (example - Predator).

As I watch regular BDs on my 1080p 9ft diagonal projected image from 10-12 ft away, I find it hard to imagine how 4x extra detail and greater colour depth would give me a markedly better experience. It's probably already at, or very close to, the limit of my eyesight. This would be more true of a smaller screen and/or at a greater distance. Enhanced audio is another matter, of course.....

(I have the Sony x800 UHD player, but my displays are both 1080)

4. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,907
    What prompted that decision over a 1080p Bluray Player ?

5. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    Future-proofing, esp. the opportunity to buy UHD titles in case I ever go that way with my projector - which is a likely next step, if I ever take it. (Not that I have bought that many; mostly I still buy regular BDs - price premium on UHD too high for the future benefit as I see it). But also - that particular player can play all sorts of 5-inch disc (audio and video) including VCDs even. And actually, Iike the lack of a front panel display.

6. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,042
    Where do you keep getting this £25 price from ?,yes some new releases our that,but a lot are £19.99,plus if you wait a bit,their always deals going on 2 x £30,and,and some other very good deals.
    Plus been going through my blu collection,right from the early days,and some still have the price stickers on them,£24.99/£19.99.
    And the price of say VHS tapes and LD when they were first out,and for many years after were very high,so very :confused:,did you only start buying where blu ray came out ?.

:)

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,919
    Fair enough. I've just bought Alien for £15, which is actually less than I paid for the DVD when it first hit that format. I'm yet to be convinced though that they are value for money, or really why they should be that price. Why the bundled blu ray disc, If you have a UHD player why would you want the blu ray as well. Save the cost and pass it on to the customer.

There are some upcoming releases where review on HiFi Digest have said that the difference in PQ from the BR to UHD is not that great, Eastwood's The Mule being one. A release that doesn't even get an Atmos soundtrack.

I'll probably mellow but at the moment £25 for a new release is off the cards. Happy enough with my current collection of BRs that upscale beautifully on my Panny FZ802.

8. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,042
    I been multi region since the DVD days,wouldn't be any other way,so f i see an disc i want to buy,i don't have to worry which region it is :)

I also buy quite a few blu rays from all over the place,mainly US titles not available in the UK,and sometimes they don't come cheap,so let just say some have been over the £25 mark just for the blu ray.
    As for the blu ray coming with the disc,i think we will see that for a while yet,if now only for the extras,plus some blu rays are still coming with dvd.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2019
  9. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,919
    I get most of my SACDs from the States. Cheap as chips...….golden chips.:(

10. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,042
    I can believe that :eek::)

11. Bakey

Bakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Thanks to everyone who has replied :)
    There doesn't seem any benefit to me at the moment on getting a 4K multi region player, especially as it would cost me £300+. I'm probably going to go for the Sony bdp-s6700, it has 5ghz wifi & bluetooth which is an improvement on my current bdp-s3500 but still has dts-hd audio (Sony dropped this for the S3700 model!). It also upscales to 4K just incase I do upgrade the TV sooner rather than later, unlikely though as I'm happy with the picture quality on my LG full HD.

12. Bakey

Bakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Now I'm thnking I'll probably go for the Sony UBP-X700 as the multiregion version is only £100 more than the S6700 from TPS. They also offer a 3yr warranty and I'll have a 4K TV by the time that runs out. Would go for the X-800 but that's £399 from TPS and MRM despite the normal player going for just over £200 everywhere else. Not sure about streaming on the X-700 over WiFi though, it doesn't have 5ghz and my current Sony player is rubbish using 2.4ghz and our router is upstairs.

13. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    Obvious question - does it have to be? In fact I have got my AV stuff hard-wired (Ethernet rather than by WiFi) to the router. It used to be upstairs, but it isn't any longer...... And in fact it covers the house with WiFi better where it is.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  14. Bakey

Bakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    At the moment unfortunately it does have to stay where it is. The computer is next to it, doesn't have WiFi we have teenagers using it for school work/exam revision.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2019
  15. Bakey

Bakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    What is the picture like when playing std blurays through the x800 and viewing on 1080p? Also do you watch a UHD disc on 1080p? My Yamaha soundbar has DTS-X Virtual so wondering if I'd notice better audio using a UHD player. I know I only have a 43" TV so a different set up to yourself but all reviews obviously mention UHD/bluray discs on a 4K TV and not 1080p.

16. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    I have only one other BD player to compare it with, and I see absolutely no difference between them. But then, I don't expect to.

Yes, the handful of UHD titles I have, have to be watched as 1080p as that is as far as either of my displays will go. The player converts (scales) output according to the display.

I can't comment on the audio enhancements. I use a 5-channel setup - HDMI to Denon into Monitor Audio, and am wholly satisfied.

17. Bakey

Bakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Finally decided on the Sony 6700 multiregion and ordered from TPS so get a 3yr warranty with it. Now I'm trying to remember all the films I wanted to get on bluray that were region A only and can't :laugh: