1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi-purposing Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by meep, Jan 27, 2003.

1. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi All,

I have a pair of B&W CDM 1NTs and a CDM CNT plugged into my Pioneer VSX D2011 reciever for movie watching duties. DVD spins in a HTPC which, at present, is also used to play CDs.

Now, if I wanted to put in a complimemntary Hi Fi (CD deck & stereo amp), what would be the recomended configuration so that I could use my 1 NTs as either a stereo pair for CD music or L/R for movies.

Here are some thoughts. comments or additional configs appreciated;

Option 1
    CD output to receiver CD in. Receiver front l/r pre-outs to hi-fi amp. This way, I could use the Hi FI amp to power l/r during mvies as well, correct? Would this set-up "dirty" the sound in any way?

Option 2
    CD output to stereo amp CD in. Amp l/r to speaker switch box(?). Receiver front l/r to speaker switch box. This seems messy as it would require manual switching of which amp is to power the speakers.

Hi Fi newbie appreciates advice.

2. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Try this.

CD to stereo amp. AV Reciever front L&R pre-outs to stereo amp. Front speakers connected to stereo amp.

This way you use the stereo amp for the front L&R, and the reciever purely for the center, surrounds and sub.

There is more discussion on this over in
    Amplifiers and Receivers

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Obviously the easiest way is to use a CD player or transport,and route it's digital output straight into the receiver's digital input,and use the receiver for all the D/A conversion and amplification.

This would allow you to spend more on a decent quality CD front end,which will almost certainly outperform the DVD player.

Your other options are certainly viable,and I've used external amps with a Denon 1803 receiver prior to a serious upgrade....yes the quality will almost certainly be better than using the receiver's onboard amps,but all depends on your budget.

The speakers are certainly good quality items,and should be quite revealing of any benefits.

If you could give us some idea of the likely budget,perhaps we can all give clearer advice.

4. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks for the rapid replies, people.

My inclination was to go with a seperate CD/stereo amp for music as;

1. A decent stereo amp should sound better with music than my receiver amplification (though that is very good to my untrained ears)

and

2. I could repurpose that as a front l/r amp for surround sound duties.

However, from the posts, I'm wondering should I be considering investing in just a very good CD and keeping my receiver amplification. Where is the trade/off in these scenarios?

In terms of budget, all of this is speculative but I would consider anything up to €1,000 (about Stg £ 650) as a budget to put in a "better" CD playback system, leveraging existing equipment where possible. Is this a silly figure and should I just stick with what I have or would a resonable improvement be viable?

I also have a Velodyne CHT-15 Sub woofer. Wherer does that fit in the mix? Should I be using it for music at all or just rely on the 1NTs as a pair?

Again, thanks for all the advice - just trying to get the head around Hi Fi now that cineam sound has been more or less figured out!

Peter

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    There are several amps available which should provide good sound for this price band....I'd certainly advise spending at least half your budget on the CD player to make sure it actually does sound better than your DVD player alone.

Have a look at amps from Cyrus,Arcam,Rotel,and Creek...all of their offerings in this price range offer decent quality and equally importantly with speakers like the B&W's,good current delivery,remembering that these usually drop to a 3ohm minimum in the bass region.

My own feeling would be to keep the receiver for now,and use it to process the CD input,and maybe upgrade that area later when funds allow.

This option also allows you to use the receiver to perform some level of bass management,and may allow you to get the best out of your sub,which can still be used in a straight stereo setup...many people do just that.