1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multi-purpose stereo amp query

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dood, May 21, 2003.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have seen that more and more people are expecting the best for music and AV from their systems. The solution is to add a decent stereo amp to the AV amp/receiver.

Less commonly, people need a stereo amp to add to their AV amp to drive speakers in another zone in order to get a basic multiroom multi source facility. This is easily done because the feature is increasingly available on AV amps. In addition if the stereo amp has outputs for speakers A and B, then the facility could extend to a third room. I've taken it a stage further and added a QED switch box with speakers in a fourth room. Of course I'm still restricted to just two sources at any one time, and I don't drive all the speakers at the same time.

My thoughts are that it would be nice if one stereo amp could be used for both functions (stereo for CD in main room and to drive zone 2). These don't have to happen simultaneously, but would need the inputs to be assignable ie when CD is selected, main speakers are driven, when processor/AV selected then speakers B are driven. In order to have everything automated and on timers, eg with a pronto, the speaker selection should also be assigned via remote.

Do any such stereo amps exist? Do any have remote speaker switching for more than 2 sets of speakers? Are there enough people out there that would value this so that the manufacturers could comply - it seems to me that it would not involve much additional cost to existing models.

2. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    No reply so obviously a confusing missive.

Put another way, does anyone know of a stereo amp that has the following features:

1. Processor input that will remember and equalise gains so volume does not have to be adjusted when changing from AV input to CD.

2. 2 but preferably 3 sets of speaker outputs.

3. can operate the following with remote control:
    power
    input selection
    speaker switching

4. good sound

5. upto 400 quid or so.

I've tried to look at some manufacturer's web sites but can't seem to get the info eg Rotel does not mention remote control or number of speakers etc.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    How about an Arcam A75+ ? It has 2 not 3 sets of speakers but apart from that it does what you need I think.

or how about something different I don't know if it would help but nad an rotel do power amps which can have upto 6 sets of speakers attached.

Cheers

Steff

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Raj,

The new slimline Arcam A80 integrated stereo amplifier fulfills almost all of your requirements.

It has adjustable sensitivity on all inputs with +/- 8 dB range, which should be enough for your needs. The Tape input can also be set to fixed gain, disabling the volume control, for use with an external AV processor. Power, input selection and speaker switching are all remote controllable and I have to say it sounds b---y fantastic (I don't usually bang the drum very hard on subjective matters, but I firmly believe this is the class leader in its price sector; we are all very excited here by the A80).

It can switch 2 pairs of speakers (fully independent for each pair) and can drive 4 ohms if required. Note that I don't think you will find any hi-fi product on the market at any price that does three speaker switching. However you could add an extra power amp to the A80's pre-amp output sockets if you wanted to drive even more speakers.

The retail price is £599 or so, in silver or black, a bit more than you wanted to pay but top quality rarely comes cheap :)

The product is now shipping to Arcam dealers across the UK, so you should soon be able to try it out for yourself. A short specification is on the website at http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/DiVAA80Flier.PDF We expect more info, with pictures, to go on the site in about a week.

HTH,

John Dawson (Arcam)