• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Multi-Purpose HTPC build

djb

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

I am going to bite the bullet and go for my first PC build from scratch... I have been on and off on the site over the last year and from one reason or another not got around to it... but now is the time.

The posts, guides and advice on here are just excellent and I hoping I can benefit from your experiences.

The challenge I have, is that I want a HTPC but also a high performance PC in general; which seems to slightly deviate from the more generic HTPC builds I have seen. My main concerns are CPU performance as some of the applications I will use are very CPU intensive. There are not off teh shelf applications and based around my job which Networking. I would also like to use it for gaming although I am not an everyday gamer, I do from time to time go through spells of long nights on a good game....!

To start of discussions, I was interested to get any thoughts on hardware areas I should focus on to get the best of both worlds? Ideally would like to do the build done as cheaply as possible but have budgeted £800-1200 depending on the return I get.

Any comments really appreciated?

Thanks
Damien.

Captain Boom

Go quad core. The Q6600 is amazing and only around £130 (from Scan) plus it can be overclocked past 3ghz with ease. That should easily fit into your budget and be a good match with all the other hardware you get :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom