1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi-problem. MCE freeze upon start, XP locks up, keyboard error, and more!

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by wiinter, Jun 28, 2005.

1. wiinter

wiinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve purchased, built and troubleshot many a computer – and never have I had so many problems with one system, and I’m getting fed up. Since most of them are MCE related, I’m going to reach out to this community for input. See system specs and other relevant info at the bottom.

In order of annoyance:

#1. The XP MCE OS locks up a few minutes after reboot/login. Always at different times. The event viewer ALWAYS says the very last thing that "The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state". I searched online for this, and the best anyone could come up with is to disable the service altogether. This works, but, of course, I cannot burn CDs from within MCE anymore. Any ideas of how to better fix this?

#2. MCE (the application) freezes upon launching. If I use the activity buttons on the remote, or manually launch MCE, it freezes about 9 times out of 10 after it gets a few frames into its intro animation. Sometimes it makes it partway into the main menu animation. Oddly enough, very occasionally after a freeze, if I leave it long enough, it will unfreeze – this has only happened a couple times, but made me wonder if it had anything to do with the wireless connection.

#3. MCE fails to remember that it was in windowed mode when I use the activity buttons. I won’t go into detail, I’ve started a different thread about this. See next point.

#4. MCE will not allow a window resize to 1280x720, even in /widescreen mode. Again, I won’t go into detail, because I’ve covered this here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223043

#5. Not MCE related. I’ve got three of these nice USB keyboards that have a built-in USB 2-port hub. On the problematic computer, when using a USB keyboard, about 2 times of every 3 reboots, the bios throws a keyboard error. Not touching anything, a reboot often solves the problem. Now, because of first two problems, I’m not sure, but it’s possible the keyboard could also be ceasing to respond once in the OS, even if it does boot up.. but it’s hard to tell apart from the crashing and freezing.

#6. Not MCE related. This question is for you Harmony remote users. I’m about to contact support about this, but I figure I would throw it in here too. I’ve purchased two of these remotes (688) and the first living room worked out perfectly. The second living room / remote is having an issue: The “channel+” and “Device” do not work at all – they simply send no signal. With any other button press, I can see the little IR receiver light come on, regardless if it can use the code or not. But with those two buttons – nada. Let me know if you’ve run into the prob.

Hardware:
    - Soltek 75FRN2-L
    - AMD Sempron 2500+
    - 2x256megs Corsair Dual-Channel (not value select)
    - 20gb + 200gb + 200gb hard drives
    - Microsoft IR receiver w/Harmony remote
    - D-Link Wireless G (108mbps. also, the router has a directional antenna)

Software & Configs:
    - XP MCE 2005 w/Tweak UI (XP and MCE’s tweak), nothing else really installed
    - 200+200gb hard drives are in raid-1, stripe

That’s all I can think of. Let me know if you have any ideas!!

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Crikey, sounds a bit troublesome.

I can't help you with all of your problems, but I have experienced how fussy MCE is so would suggest you pay particular attention to drivers and codecs.

I would also try uninstalling that Tweak UI app as MCE may not like that.

What is your graphics card? Which drivers are you using? What DVD codec have you installed? Are you sure there are no remanants of old drivers / codecs in the system. Also do you have a tv card, and the correct drivers for it.

thats a start anyway

lisa

3. wiinter

wiinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lisa! I'll post the new specs:

- Graphics: GeForce FX 5200 (w/forceware drivers, 71.84)
    - DVD Codec: nVidia's free DVD decoder trial
    - Other Codec: the only other codec(s) I've installed is ffdshow
    - TV Tuner: none! not even using this feature :)

Some other notes:
    - No overclocking of the system. All values set to optimal.
    - I have another computer with the same motherboard, running the same OS, same codecs, almost the exact same hardware (CDR, 200+200 striped drives) and it has no problems (except for the windowed mode thing, of course)

4. robpow

robpow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have also been building PCs for many years and have never encountered anything as picky as MCE.

My recommendation for anyone attempting to do a DIY MCE build is to buy exactly the same components as lots of other people have working. One way is to buy parts from a company that sells MCE computers, they are probably the best source of knowledge of what works and what doesn't.

I tried to 'cobble togheter' an MCE machine with similar parts to you and gave up to unstability, lock-ups etc and ended up buying everything new again.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but you could be in for a long and bumpy ride getting your current spec to work, if it ever will.

Cheers,
    Matt

5. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    There are known issues with that Nvidia Driver - try 72.14

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit concerned about your hard drives. How have you got them connected? If you have the 20Gb on the same channel as a 200Gb you could be mixing a) manufacturers and b) interfaces (ATA100 & ATA133). Is the OS on the 20Gb?

When I mixed interfaces and manufacturers it caused all manner of strange crashes.

Dave

7. wiinter

wiinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lisag, I'm trying the new drivers now. Will let you know.

Davep, odly enough, they're all maxtor. The 20gb is on a different controller than the other two 200gb.