• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Multi-Plug Extension Sockets - Are they Safe?

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Forgive me if this sounds a bit nooby but I would like to ask if the multiplug ac adaptors which allow one to add up to 10 socket connections for various AV, Hi-Fi & other gear are generally safe to use?

I have figured that I will need at least two of these things to have enough sockets for all the stuff I will have and although they say they have surge protection, I am still a little concerned as to the safety side of things as they can be picked so cheaply. In my case, I will be connecting 2 of the 10-Way sockets to a normal double wall socket and wonder if that may be a fire risk as I do not know if surge protection covers just like like random lightening strikes etc. Is it possible to overheat these things or overload them and have a risk of them or ones equipment blowing up?

I have tried to find some with a overload/overheat self-tripping safety function but cannot seem to find any. I would be very grateful for any help or advice on this matter - the last thing I want to do is burn mine and my neighbours house down!

Thanks,

Suave!

dav-t

Distinguished Member
Hi , these things usually come with a 13amp plug on the end and have a 13amp cartridge fuse in them.What I,m saying is that if all your connected gear is over 13amp the fuse will blow, thus saving yours and next doors house.
Regards
Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom