Multi-Platform TV/Media Server System

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Rob_Quads, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    For many many years I have been looking to centralise my media. For the last few years i have had a Windows Home Server which has served up the media mostly just played on a livingroom PC. I have used xbmc, WMC in the past although always had different issues with them. More often that not just launching Media Player Classic and then watching films via that or PowerDVD and then use just the Sky box for all TV

Now that I have two growing twins which will soon want to be watching all sorts of kids tv I am looking to centralise my TV system. Ideally I am looking to put a PC into the loft with 4 tv tuners along with my media and then server it all out from there.

Recently I have been playing around with Plex and so far found it the most user friendly (needs to be wife friendly) BUT its not got TV tuner capability so its out. It looks like MediaPortal would fit the bill very well BUT I have a Macbook Air and mediaportal is windows only.

I'm looking for something like MediaPortal (the server will be windows based) but be able to play to clients on Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad (and probably Android in the future as I can see me getting a couple cheap tablets for around the house) It would be very nice if there was also the a RaspberryPi interface as well

Any ideas / thoughts?

2. bryanchicken

bryanchicken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    the only thing that works on all those clients that i'm aware of is xbmc. The latest release (frodo) has the pvr branch merged in. Its still a little rough around the edges and the pvr clients will probably get regular updates outside the release schedule (they are addons)
    As far as the server is concerned xbmc supports a lot of pvr backends, MP, argus, tvheadend, vdr, nextpvr, dvblink etc etc.
    Check this wiki page as a starting point
    Backend source - XBMC