Multi LNB Set Up Advice Please

TimmyP23

Hi all

Bit of advice and guidance needed please.

I have a Sky Zone 1 dish and a 60cm Faval dish (with monoblock for 13e and 19.2e). I am using two boxes at present ( Sky and TM500).

Ideally, my other half only wants one dish on the front of the house. Are there any options where by I can get access to all 3 satellites off one fixed dish? I propose to take down the Sky dish and use the 60cm dish as standard.

The 60cm is feeding my 13e and 19.2e satellites at the moment with a very strong signal, so i'm hopeful this will be do-able.

Thank in advance.

Tim

Hi all

Bit of advice and guidance needed please.

I have a Sky Zone 1 dish and a 60cm Faval dish (with monoblock for 13e and 19.2e). I am using two boxes at present ( Sky and TM500).

Ideally, my other half only wants one dish on the front of the house. Are there any options where by I can get access to all 3 satellites off one fixed dish? I propose to take down the Sky dish and use the 60cm dish as standard.

The 60cm is feeding my 13e and 19.2e satellites at the moment with a very strong signal, so i'm hopeful this will be do-able.

Thank in advance.

Tim

You could take it down and put up an 80cm dish with a 20 degree brcket on it and use it with all them satellites on it no problem, bit of a pain in the back door to do but any competent installer should be able to do it:D

TimmyP23

I have two boxes.

In principle, could I get a offset bracket for say the Sky LNB and box, and then use the monoblock to feed the second box?

TimmyP23

Well, bit of an update as to where I am with my dish setup.

I've recently looked into a set up which would allow me to recieve 13e, 19.2e and 28.2e off the one dish. The other half wasnt too keen on having a massive dish on the front of the house so we agreed on a 60cm dish.

Installed not long back and all working fine. I have a 60cm ISS perforated dish with lnb bracket. 2 single lnbs pointing to 13e and 19.2e with a quad lnb on 28.2e. I have a sky hd box and sky+ box directly connected to 3 of the lnb outputs on 28.2e and one goes into the 4x diseq switch with the two feeds from 13e and 19.2e. These feed into my technomate tm500.

Had a few signal issues at first but after a bit of playing about, managed to get it working ok. The dish is focused on 19.2e.

Signal strengths as I type:
28.2E - 89%
19.2E - 84% - i would have thought this would be stronger as the dish is focussed onto this satellite!!
13.0E - 86%

Still, everything seems to be working OK so far. I dont have a great closeup of the dish, but I'm sure you can work it all out on the pic below.

Last edited:

aris

Nice job! And I must say you are fortunate to have such a tolerant wife. I'd be wearing my testicles as earrings if I put that up on the front of my house :rotfl:

Well, bit of an update as to where I am with my dish setup.

I've recently looked into a set up which would allow me to recieve 13e, 19.2e and 28.2e off the one dish. The other half wasnt too keen on having a massive dish on the front of the house so we agreed on a 60cm dish.

Installed not long back and all working fine. I have a 60cm ISS mesh dish with lnb bracket. 2 single lnbs pointing to 13e and 19.2e with a quad lnb on 28.2e. I have a sky hd box and sky+ box directly connected to 3 of the lnb outputs on 28.2e and one goes into the 4x diseq switch with the two feeds from 13e and 19.2e. These feed into my technomate tm500.

Had a few signal issues at first but after a bit of playing about, managed to get it working ok. The dish is focused on 19.2e.

Signal strengths as I type:
28.2E - 89%
19.2E - 84% - i would have thought this would be stronger as the dish is focussed onto this satellite!!
13.0E - 86%

Still, everything seems to be working OK so far. I dont have a great closeup of the dish, but I'm sure you can work it all out on the pic below.

You did well there mate looks good and to have the signal you have with a 60cm dish it really good i think :smashin:

MartinPickering

I have a 60cm ISS mesh dish with lnb bracket.

No, you have a perforated dish. Mesh is always made of wire or expanded metal. It's the difference between a sieve and a colander! (A lot of people make this mistake.)
See crimped mesh

Anyway, how does your dish perform in bad weather? That's the ultimate test.

Last edited:

MartinPickering

Well, yes, actually. I had a customer on Cyprus who was advised (not by me) to buy a large "mesh" dish. He did so and wondered why it received nothing. (Obviously it was designed for C-Band and was totally useless for Ku-Band transmissions.)

Nomenclature matters.

I had another customer who was advised (by a respectable company) to buy a "dual LNB". He ordered one, received a "monobloc" (which is a "dual LNB") but what he actually needed was a "twin-output" LNB.

Nomenclature matters.

Well, yes, actually. I had a customer on Cyprus who was advised (not by me) to buy a large "mesh" dish. He did so and wondered why it received nothing. (Obviously it was designed for C-Band and was totally useless for Ku-Band transmissions.)

Nomenclature matters.

I had another customer who was advised (by a respectable company) to buy a "dual LNB". He ordered one, received a "monobloc" (which is a "dual LNB") but what he actually needed was a "twin-output" LNB.

Nomenclature matters.

He isnt giving advice on what someone should buy to get it working he already has it installed it works well and he has done a good job so in this case Nomenclature dosent matter (what its called) IT WORKS and its not going to mislead anyone.

logiciel

Something like it did mislead MP's customers.

Last edited:

MartinPickering

Condoning or encouraging incorrect terminology is helpful to nobody. I am not afraid to make such corrections because I know it does help people.

However, I think it unfortunate that many other knowledgeable people are actively discouraged from making corrections because they are afraid of being "flamed" by people who think it's clever to perpetuate misinformation and even to encourage sloppy writing.

In a playground it may seem clever to do this but in a technical context it is essential to use the correct terminology in order to avoid (possibly expensive) mistakes.

TimmyP23

No, you have a perforated dish. Mesh is always made of wire or expanded metal. It's the difference between a sieve and a colander! (A lot of people make this mistake.)
See crimped mesh

Anyway, how does your dish perform in bad weather? That's the ultimate test.

I've had no issues so far but then again we havent had any bad weather really to check it.

With regard to the "mesh" issue - I dont want to get into an argument because it is childish, but you should inform ISS that they are labelling their boxes wrong as mine said "mesh" on the side.

ISS 60cm Mesh Satellite Dish with 30cm Standoff Wall Bracket from

Described as mesh there so not quite sure what your trying to get at or achieve.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no satellite expert like some on here, I read and try things out. I buy what people recommend. So therefore I apologise that I said I had a mesh dish when I obviously havent got one (even though thats what I was sold).

Thanks everyone else for the kind comments, was quite proud once it was up and running. 13e was the worst to get working, currently getting 86% SNR and 78% AGC according to my TM500.

Something like it did mislead MP's cusomers.

Which had what to do with what the op said?. any way any decent installer would advise their customers of the right equipment to purchase or even order it for them not let them waiste money on something they dont need. lol

:lease:

TimmyP23

Which had what to do with what the op said?. any way any decent installer would advise their customers of the right equipment to purchase or even order it for them not let them waiste money on something they dont need. lol

:lease:

I appreciate your view mate, lets let it lie. It was never the intention to create an argument over the manufacture of a dish. I just wanted to show off what i had got working! And on the off chance that it may help someone looking at doing something similar.

:(

I appreciate your view mate, lets let it lie. It was never the intention to create an argument over the manufacture of a dish. I just wanted to show off what i had got working! And on the off chance that it may help someone looking at doing something similar.

:(

Cracking job mate well done, i think you did well installling it its a shame someone has to make silly comments and over shadow what a great job you did :smashin:

logiciel

any way any decent installer would advise their customers of the right equipment to purchase
Maybe the installers in Cyprus aren't decent.
Maybe the Greek - or Turkish - for sieve and colander are the same.

MartinPickering

Described as mesh there so not quite sure what your (you're) trying to get at or achieve.
I'm trying to get people to use the commonly accepted terms to avoid confusion and unnecessary expense. (Don't you think that's an admirable goal?) Please accept that the correct term is "perforated" when little holes are punched through.

Dictionary definitions for "mesh" refer to "cords, threads, or wires".
mesh - definition of mesh by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
No mention of punched holes.

you should inform ISS that they are labelling their boxes wrong as mine said "mesh" on the side.
At Christmas my wife bought a "Set of LED Lights" for the tree. Inside was a string of ordinary filament bulbs. No sign of any Light Emitting Diodes. She had to take them back for a refund. You simply can't rely on what's printed on the box.

I'm trying to get people to use the commonly accepted terms to avoid confusion and unnecessary expense. (Don't you think that's an admirable goal?) Please accept that the correct term is "perforated" when little holes are punched through.

Dictionary definitions for "mesh" refer to "cords, threads, or wires".
mesh - definition of mesh by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
No mention of punched holes.

At Christmas my wife bought a "Set of LED Lights" for the tree. Inside was a string of ordinary filament bulbs. No sign of any Light Emitting Diodes. She had to take them back for a refund. You simply can't rely on what's printed on the box.

Wel done mate your a really clever well educated bloke BIG pat on the back........................ no one really cares that much is quite obvious :lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom