Multi In Audio

caveman38

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just set up a budget HT for a friend and am a bit confused. The AVR is a Denon AVR-X520BT and the Blu-Ray a Sony BDPS6200. Both connected with HDMI only. It all works fine except I am confused by the shown audio formats shown on the fascia of the AVR.
With standard DVD's they show correctly as DD and DTS but on a BluRay disc the format is shown as Multi In.
Can anyone explain why please.

Some blu ray discs have LPCM sound tracks and this will show as multi channel in. Has the receiver been set to auto decode. You can always select DTS HD MA or Dolby True HD from the audio select on the actual disc.

The receiver I assume is set to factory settings. How do I select auto decode (if not default)
BTW is Multi In - LPCM. Is it an advanced format as I understood PCM to do inferior to DD. Excuse what may appear stupid questions. Thanks for your help.

PCM is linear and uncompressed. Uses more data bandwidth for >2 channels than Dolby Digital which is compressed and a lossy codec.

Google and you'll find really good explanations of the different audio formats... (other search engines are available).

Make sure you have secondary audio turned off on the blu ray player

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom