Multi focus satellite dish - no signal

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by olivier74, Feb 20, 2013.

1. olivier74

olivier74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have some experience with setting up satellite dishes, mono LNB and lately did fit a custom multi LNB dish (3 LNBs) but decided to go for a bigger dish with 5 LNBs and bought myself a purposely built multi focus dish, Maximum E-85 multi focus satellite
    (Maximum E-85 Multi Focus Satellite Dish - Tech Sat)
    I expected the set up to be a lot quicker than my customised previous installation but I have not managed to get any signal at all, stayed on 0% all the time.
    I intend to have 28.2E, 19E, 13E, 9E, 5W connected to to my humax HDR foxsat with the 19E going to my TNTsat box. I will be connecting a diseqc switch but did start setting up going directly from the LNB to the relevant receivers and never got a signal even not 10% just 0%...aiming at the same direction as the previous, same elevation...
    I then tried using a satellite finder, those with a % bar which allowed me to finely tune the horizontal, elevation, skew with highest signal, locked the dish, reconnect to the receiver and back to 0%!!
    Any idea...not seen an on/off switch on the dish lol
    Thanks

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,777
    To be clear - the finder found which satellite on which LNB, and to which receiver did you then connect that LNB?

3. olivier74

olivier74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I first connected the LNB aiming at astra2, tuned that one, then reconnected to my humax box for the freesat channels but no signal, disconnected it all, tried the same with LNB aiming at astra1, got the highest signal on the satellite finder
    (Satellite Finder - Digital : Satellite Finders & Meters : Maplin Electronics) then reconnected to the TNTsat but same again, no signal.
    I was thinking of getting a much better satellite finder, like http://www.amazon.co.uk/SatLink-WS-...l-Satellite/dp/B005LDFDJ4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_4
    but I always managed with a basic satellite beeper.

4. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    If your using the Humax in Freesat mode you need to be pointing at 28.2E, it won't work if you've accidentally found any other sats. In non freesat mode you'll be able to scan the whole satellite or check individual transponders to try and identify the sat you have found. If you still get nothing but your meter say you have then the cabling/connectors is at fault.

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,777
    I'd concentrate on that, and let the UK channels wait. You should be OK with the present finder.

6. olivier74

olivier74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I borrowed a mate's satellite finder showing strength and quality. I seem to get 70% on quality and 0% on strength or little jump to 37% strength then nothing, pretty much wherever I point the dish. Could it be I need to use attenuators?
    Would there be something wrong with the dish? I've not really seen any reviews for it. I used the marks on the LNB arm marked by the manufacturer and at least hotbird right in the middle of the arm facing the dish should be working??

7. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,777
    Not an attenuator, not the dish - what about the LNB though - what is it?

8. olivier74

olivier74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Yes concentrate on Hotbird in the centre, no point doing any of the others if this isn't right. On the meter/receiver make sure your selecting a working TP with the correct parameters rather than depend on any preloaded settings. Check the dish isn't bent and has been put together properly.

10. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    last couple of jobs have oddly been on really odd lnb faults- entirely different makes, one looked like a Maplin sold lnb- that won't have been cheap for a very basic single lnb- .... over the years you don't see that many though, most tend to work for years & seem to last indefinitely except in hot climates or some that use cheap non UV resistant plastic - in fact it's so rare it can still throw you to get 2 one after the other:D

11. olivier74

olivier74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now managed to get something but I had to change the elevation from 28° to 35° which I did not expect. I have four satellites out of five. I did get some signal with 5W Atlantic bird when up on the ladder but must have slightly moved it when tightened the dish.
    I will have to finely tune the position of the LNBs on the arms probably when warmer! Also, when the weather is bad, I seem to loose 9E. The LNB arm does not really allow less than 5° between 2 LNB so I got that slim inverto LNB to have a decent 9E and 13E.
    I used to get near 100% when using my motorised setting (I guess I only had one satellite at a time) but now only get as low as 60% signal quality, near 100% with hotbird and astra2.

12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,777
    The change of elevation suggests that the pole is out of vertical.
    5W is a bit weak but 9E should be OK especially with a slim LNB, so 9, 13, 19, and 28, should be easy on any dish.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  13. olivier74

olivier74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you're right with the pole out of vertical. The dish is fairly heavy and I'm only using a bracket 45cm off the wall and it gets bouncy, not ideal but will get a proper pole when moving into another house, intermediate house renting at mo...
    I used to get 5W fine with my motorised dish. I have a spare 65cm transparent clear dish but that might be too small for it. I will have to fine tune the 5W LNB on the arm and play with the dish skew.

14. olivier74

olivier74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, I'm currently running on RG6 cable. Would WF100 make a huge difference?

15. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,777
    5W on a 65cm isn't practical and I doubt that it is on the bigger dish either.
    Here's all the information about the different types of cable: Coaxial digital Satellite cable