Multi DVD Releases

C

cityonfire

Now we all hate it when a studio releases god knows how many editions of film X :thumbsdow

But lets be honest most of us at some point have probaly added to the problem by buying at some point another version of our favourite films with the lure of better picture or sound etc...

So which have you guys bought more of one version of?

My list is:

HIGHLANDER 1 three different versions on DVD and two on laserdisc

HARDBOILED three different versions on DVD and three on laserdisc

TERMINATOR 2 Three different versions on DVD and four on laserdisc

I don't. Once I have it, I have it, and there is no real value for me to buy another copy with "better" sound or video.

I must have bought maybe 15 different films twice mainly because of better sound but some for extended/uncut/ director's cut

Me too. Titles include Matrix (to get uncut version), Highlander, Total Recall, Black Hawk Down, Evil Dead... I don't tend to keep all versions though. If I buy a new version of a film, I usually try to sell the old one.

Not DVDs but I bought the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS three times - not for any extras, simply because I wore them out over the years. Sad, I know...

Only 3 times so far. The Crow, X Men and Independence Day.

I've done it loads of times.
I usually sell the old copy though.
One exception is Evil Dead of which I have three versions.

got Interview with the vampire on video, then dvd, then spec ed dvd

got predator on video, then in the pred 1/2 dvd boxset, then spec ed dvd

got halloween 2, 4 & 5 on dvd then spec ed dvd

got highlander on dvd then special "immortal" edition dvd

got evil dead on video, then dvd, then got the book of the dead edition dvd

got robocop on video, then criterion dvd then got the r2 robocop trilogy instead (should sell the criterion dvd i suppose)

just bought the hellraiser 1/2/3 ltd edition boxset although i have hellraiser 1 & 2 on dvd already

just bought Alien quadrilogy despite owning the alien legacy..

cityonfire said:
Marc Angelus i would keep your criterion the reason is... Well look here:

http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDCompare2/robocop.htm

I had both and compared both.
I kept the triple box set and sold my Criterion copy.
I prefered the 5.1 sound and the anamorphic picture to the Criterion version.

Best thing was the price I got for the Criterion version covered the boxset price easily.

The real killing I made is when I sold my R1 copy of Robocop 2.
It went for over £30. :eek:

Quids in all round as the boxset was only £19.99 in the HMV sale. :clap:

looking at the captures, the Criterion does look nicer, but when i actually watch them, the R2 looks nicer, probably because NTSC looks like **** on my TV. The sound on the criterion version is pretty poor too, the R2 version has nice Dolby 5.1 instead of 2.0.

How much does the Criterion version go for nowadays? If it's worth much maybe i should go get it from my Mum's house and sell it on here or ebay

Forget those captures.
Try them out against each other on YOUR equipment. Then keep what you deem to be the best version.

If I remember correctly mine went on Ebay for around £25 to someone in England.
Problem is that there is now a R1 boxset so how would that affect the price?

the captures matter dur to the cropping in the new box sets and the off colour

as to multi dvds 16 copys of army of darkness
5 x t2
2 x underworld
2 x bad boys
2 x swingers
2 x blade
2 x the jack ryan trilogy only have one copy of sum of all fears
2 x black hawk down jap sb

The region 1 boxset according to DVD Debate has less edge enhancement and RoboCop 2 is in Dolby 5.1 ( won't mention RoboCop 3 as it stinks ) I did like RoboCop 2 though :)

I think the remixed sound for RoboCop ( i have the region 2 edition ) is terrible, poor bloated bass and not much surround activity and weak gunfire among other problems, yet many magazines raved over it ( guess they were paid by someone )

its (robocop) not oar in the new edtions and there was no 5.1 audio in 1987 :lesson: so its just as bad as the star wars special ed's tampering with the the film is not a good thing EVER

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom