1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi disc player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andyk, Feb 11, 2002.

1. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I am considering getting a jukebox DVD system and am struggling to find much choice.
    There seem to be a couple of Sonys (200 and 300 disc) which aren't made any more. Anyone know why they stopped? Were they just no good?
    Are there any other manufacurers to consider?

There are quite a few 3 or 5 disc machines around, but what would be the point of that? I am looking for at least a 200 disc capacity. Also it needs to multi region chippable (is that a word?) and decent (but not necessarily the best) quality - I have a Sony 525 at the moment and a quite happy with that as a guide to my expectation of quality.

Thanks for any input

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony 850 (200 disc) I have had it for over 2 years and I am still very happy with it, the 860 took 300 discs, and turned them over, there were some reports of discs being damaged, but I haven't seen too much on that subject.

I beleive Pioneer did (still do?) multi disc players that could be daisy chained, and Kenwood now do one where you can link 3 together.

Unfortunatly you can't daisy chain the sony, it will control a CD multiplay, but not another DVD. Also the menu system on the Sony is very slow and is often complained about on these voards.

The main market for these players appears to be lazy lard arses like me who can't ket off the sofa, Mr Gadget types, like me who like to see the discs whizzing 'round. Or people who think it would be nice to have all their discs in a nice big box, and put the covers in the attic.

Before the Sony I had a single disc Pioneer, the playback on the sony is far superior, if you come across an 850 you can pick em up quite cheap, I think I saw multi region ones on richer sounds web site for £350 the other day.

If I was buying now I would want a daisy chained model, as I have too many discs for one!

3. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I concur with Fartpants, I've had a Sony 860 for over a year now without a single glitch, 300 disks, it flips the disk if you've got any flippers and the Audio/Video is as good as the old 725 (which I upgraded from) I feed a PJ via component and for every day use it's excellent.

The main reasons I got mine were to keep the the disks in one place, safe from Marmite covered fingers and I've got all my AV gear in a seperate room from my PJ also driving whole house AV distribution, lazy I guess but it's a real pain keep getting up, walking into room with AV cabinet to change disks. The UI is absolutely appaling but there are work arounds with a Pronto.

Steve

4. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking for quite a while in getting a DVD jukebox (more than 5 DVD's). I have only found three manufacturers - SONY, PIONEER and KENWOOD. The Sony DVPCX860 (released about a year ago) is the most popular and can be had for £399 from WWW.PREMIEREAVCENTRE.CO.UK (also multiregion). The only bad point is that it can be slow to change disks (so what in my opion). The Pioneer DV-F727 (and the slightly more upmarket ELITE DV-F07) are more difficult to find (but are considered the best on the market). They are also more expensive (not found a supplier in the UK but in the US they are $200 more). The Kenwood is almost unknown but was only released in the later part of last year. Anyone know of any others - or what the CD quality is like - I may have to get a seperate CD jukebox.

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my CX850 since mid 2000 and I think its fantastic.

I keep all my cases in a display cabinet and all the disks in the jukebox. My pronto has an A-Z listnig of all the films. I simply hit the film I want and the pronto will dial the right disc no for the 850 to load bypassing the in-build menu. Although to be honest I've been shuffling the disks around so the A-Z list is out of date :-(

Its full now though, and I want a progressive scan player so if you want to buy it drop me a line. I'm in Leeds so you could come for a demo if you wished.

6. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham,

Have you tried the SuperNudelist utility written by Leo Davidson available here it really does make a difference to using the jukebox with a Pronto and juggling disks is relatively easy also. It also avoids using the Sonu UI.

Steve

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did download that but i never got around to using it.

The way I've laid out the A-Z list isn't too bad. Its getting around to updating the pronto. At the moment I''ve got all the numbers in an Excel spreadhseet and just manually dial the number using the button on the front.

If i don't sell the sony first I'll get around to it eventually.

8. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Graham,
    I might just be interested.
    (you might even remember me from the old Tenhill days!)

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I do. Small World