1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi-disc CD Players

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mediahub, Apr 2, 2005.

1. mediahub

mediahub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought myself the Yamaha AX750 with some MS Premier Plus speakers and they sound fantastic together, but now I'm looking at upgrading my CD player. It's a Pioneer PD-M603 (quite old) but it's 6-disc cartridge is one of the great features about it. However, I feel it's time to upgrade but would prefer to get a multi-disc player as I often have people round and just stock up the cartridge and let it run through the evening!.

It has to be silver (or even titanium as the Yamaha amp is that colour), have at least 5-disc functionality and obviously digital out (although I'm guessing all players have this these days). Not too bothered about the 2-300-disc monsters as I think they look ugly.

However, browsing many websites has come up with very little so I thought I'd ask if anyone has something or knows of a player that could fit the bill. My budget is fairly limited but I could stretch to £250 if I felt it was worth it. Not a lot, but there you go.

Cheers for any help!

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi MH,

I also have a 5-disc CD player, 12 years old Denon DCM-340. It was bought for the functionality you describe. And is only used in this situation, when people are over . I use a dedicated CD is player when listening by myself or more critical listening.

I think the Pioneer is still fine for the multi-person duties, and would recommend you think about a dedicated CD. Provided you have the room in your rack.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  4. mediahub

mediahub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately space is also at a premium. I have my existing components on the cabinet that came with my widescreen tv and it's not exactly brimming with space! Basically I probably have room for 3 seperates (ridiculous, I know, but the amp takes up the whole of the lower shelf it's that big!) One possible solution would be to buy a taller cabinet which the tv could comfortably rest on, but that's another thread!

What I was eventually thinking of doing was getting a DVD/HDD recorder with a digital tuner (when they come out!) for all my DVD playback and tv recording duties and then have the CD player for music. At the moment I just have the amp on the bottom shelf and an old Philips DVD player with the Pioneer CD deck on the shelf above it. The widescreen has integrated Freeview so that gets used as the tuner these days.

The new amp and speakers were stage 1 of a complete upgrade as I've put into storage my stereo amp, speakers, tuner and tape deck. The cd player will follow them and all will probably be used as a second system in a spare room some time in the future. By the way, all these seperates used to live in a much larger pine cabinet/rack I used to have but swapped out in favour of the smaller tv cabinet I now have. The pine cabinet/rack just took up too much space in my opinion.

It's a tricky business this buying lark, isn't it!

Just out of interest does anybody make those cartridge-based multi-disc players any more? I've not seen any in my internet travels.

5. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would still keep the Pioneer.

What about replace the Philips with something like Marantz DV6500.

Improve picture, CD playback, and let you experiment with SACD and DVD-A.

Or if the Marantz is too much, something along the lines of a Pioneer 575A.

Just thinking aloud. Feel free to ignore.