1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multi component on 42pd3000?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by robbster, Aug 1, 2003.

1. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

I have the 42pd3000 display which im very impressed with but have run into a slight problem. My tosh DVD player goes through the component input on the back of the media box, but I also have an xbox and gamecube which i want to hook up through component. As the hitachi only has one compont input is it possible to run all three through the component connection using a spliter of some sort? Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

Rob

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  3. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the replys Dutch and Wiry

Would there be any kind of signal loss using these switch boxes? Also what is a AV amp like for using as a switcher?

Regards

Rob

5. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rang the company today and asked about signal lose on the cheeper version, one for 15 qiud, and the guy said there might be in the cheaper one, so he sugested the 35 quid one, (but he would do ) sayng that the 35 quid one dose have gold plated connections and as we all know thats the best condutor.

thinking about it to my self i surmised that there is no reason you should get any signal lose atall considering the very short distance the signal has to travel anyway, but the goldplated version is the same sape as other av equipment, the other one (cheep one) was more lke the shape that Dutch sugested

if you can hang on a week i will buy the gold plated version and tell you first hand about signal loss, as i`ve order a HDTV player from the states, and also my dvd player has component, so as you see i need this aswell, If i think there is a major signal lose she will be going back pronto

as for your queston about using an amp as a switcher, i did`nt know you could use one, as there are only usally 4 sets of phono connections, then again im still abit green to all this av, been at it only two weeks proper.

I`ll let you kow via this post how i get on if you can wait:)
    if you have another question feel free to ask my limited intelect

regards
    wiry:)

6. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah that would be great if you could give us a update on how good the switcher is. I too am new to all this AV business so my knowledge is quite limited also lol. I'm sure there are amps now that have component in and out but there again I could be wrong.

Thanks again

Rob

7. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was actually looking at purchasing this one below:

http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/avtoolbox/avt-5842mx.htm

It is £104 but also has a cheaper relative that can't matrix the dual outputs. The main benefit above the lektropacks unit for me would be that it is compatible with a remote control.

Personally I would be wary about the lektropack version as it is not designed for Component video. And the higher the progressive scan rate the higher the frequency gets that needs to go through it. So there should be a limit to the switcher, especially when it was designed for for composite and audio switching...These comments are purely theoretical of-course, however I think you'll see that cheap or I should say lesser quality cabling can introduce ghosting etc....

I have heard some good reports on the Audio Authority one, I like the scancom one as my particular requirement involves two screens, one projector and one LCD who both can have a component/PS input. So the matrix option with remote control is the works for me.

Zero Cool

8. 3rdeye

3rdeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why did you buy it from and how much ?

9. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aufull looking thing tho init, green and ugly, does it not come in black,, i will check the 35 quid one out soon and ifis no use send it back, i think i would rather plug unplug my leads than use the green goddess
    cheers all the same tho

regards

wiry:smoke:

10. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wiry, rather have green on the switchbox that skimp on the quality of the picture....Anyway it doesn't matter for me as everything is behind closed doors with just a tiny little IR eye comming out..............

Another disadvantage maybe the lack of digital audio switching on the device. That is definitely where the copperbox products have the edge...but at a price......

Just shows that different people have different priorities...There is always paint for plastic :smile:

Cheers,

Zero Cool

11. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah your right zero i could allways paint it, tell you what i will try the 35 quid one first, and if i see any signal loss i will send it back and the buy the one you posted along with some black paint

cheers mate

I will let u know how i get on:)

best regards

12. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    'scuse me if I'm being thick, but aren't you guys comparing apples and oranges ? Looks like the switch box Wiry is talking about is an s-video switcher, while ZeroCool is talking about a component switch box ?

There'll be a major difference between the two - simply 'cos s-video isn't upto the same quality as component.

And wasn't Robster after a component switch anyway ?

Or, like I said, I'm just being thick :blush: I'll blame it on the heat.

Oh - and while I'm being picky (or thick - did I mention that) - having gold plated connections is in no way an indication of quality components.

Cheers, Carl.

13. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the old apples and oranges analogy eh, the old classics are the best, well to your questions Gold being the best conductor known to man carries the best signal without degradation, so they say
    (who says) (they)
    as for the s-video switcher, i saw this in the electro catalogue, and surmised that what would a switcher know of what feed it was being fed, these things dont have a brain right, so why the ell not use the ports for component instead arrh

gave the geezer a bell and he told me it would be A ok

anyway this can all back fire and leave me looking a total fool, but least i wont be stuck with that
    green box that fell of the ugly tree

I will post my honest report, as usall as soon as she arrives, the sexing looking one with the nice curves that is

take it easy guys

wiry

14. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cwick as wiry pointed out already but perhaps not as clear as is possible ;-) One can use a standard composite plus audio L+R switcher for component connections in theory. This way there is a potential substantial saving to be had compared to a switch box that is marketed as a component switch box. The s-Video switch box he pointed out has also got the required composite plus audio L+R for each of the four inputs...And it is in black...

My personal experience with such devices in the past, that it is not too bad with interlaced signals but there is ghosting in the image when run at higher resolutions....

Lets hope that wiry has got a positive experience so that there is a cheap component switchbox available.

Wiry can you check it with 720P or higher as well?

Zero Cool

15. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool

Iwill check it with my hdtv player when the little beautiy arrives

was i making my self unclear again, darn got to stop doing that:)

peace out dudes

regards

16. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Just got off the phone with keene, and they told me i could use the 35 quid s-video/ component switcher i mentioned above with out losing any signal lose atall, so thats keene and lectropacks told me the same thing, as i was browsing the keene catoluge, i saw antother switcher next to it with a remote control for 50 quid here
    http://www.keene.co.uk/system/keene.htm

as i was still on the phone with keene i asked about that one and got the same reply no signal lose atall, and its not green :)

so i ill proberly order one today, not sure which yet, as you dont really need a remote bcoz u have got to get up and put the dvd/video or what ever in anyway

let you know guys when ether one arrives on monday, i will give it a good testing

cheers all

nice threads