1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi-Channel question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Ian182, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Ok,

I've got a Multi-Channel receiver (Pioneer VSX-C501), and a Multi-Channel DVD player (Pioneer 565). At the moment, they're connected using an optical cable, for the simple reason that I don't own any DVD-A's or SACD's.

Being a bit of a newbie to Multi-Channel, I have a couple of questions.

1 - If I hook up all the multi-channel connections, will this carry Dolby Digital and DTS OK, or can you only do that through a digital out ?

2 - If the answer to the above is "yes", do decent cables make a big difference ? Its only RCA to RCA connections, and I've got plenty of spare cheap ones lying around......

3 - Will it sound better than just using an optical lead ?

Cheers guys......

Ian.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    1. The 565 has onboard DD & DTS decoders, so the sound from a DVD disk can be decoded by the player and sent to the AV receiver via the 5.1 analogue connections. If you have any DD-EX/DTS-ES disks then the surround back channel will be lost as that is 6.1 and you only have 5.1 analogue connections.

2. Cheap cables will IMO give cheap results. The only thing I do with the phono cables supplied with HiFi/AV equipment is throw them in the bin. Don't spend a fortune on the cables, but I think around £20 per pair should give a noticeable improvement.

3. Possibly, but probably not. Try both connections and see which you prefer. The DD/DTS decoders in an AV receiver are normally better than those in a DVD player.

Mark.