1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Channel Power amps with music

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by owain_thomas, May 9, 2004.

1. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'm mulling over the idea of upgrading my current setup. As things stand I have an oldish marantz stereo amp running my two front channels and a yamaha DSP800 working as a processor and powering the centre and rear channels.

What I'm wondering is how good a multi channel power amp (such as a Rotel 1066) is at music. I would split the use probably 50:50 music and films but I really want very good music as a priority so would be happier compromising on film reproduction if I had to.

In a recent thread on here someone mentioned using the rotel to biamp the front three channels and the processor to run the rear two. Is this a preferable solution for what I want?

Lastly, what other alternatives do people recommend for this job (apart from the rotel I mentioned)?

Thanks for the help,
    Owain

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I've personally found that you really can't compromise if you want the best of both worlds (music and movies) since most av receivers (even some higher end ones) can't compete with a designated stereo amplifier for music.
    The way I have gone is to buy an av receiver that's good with movies (that has pre-outs- in my case it was the AVR3802) and add an integrated and power amp to bi-amp my front end for music.

I'm very happy with my Denon AVR3802 for movies and my A75+/p80 for music but if you only want a one box solution then you'll have to audition till your happy with one that gives you a good compromise (if that's possible?)

I hope you find something that suits your requirements:hiya:

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Just my penny's worth as well....I've also found that few AV amps/receivers are good competition for dedicated stereo amps in their price range.

The Rotel is a very good AV amp,but tends to a pretty up-front delivery,ideal for AV,but a little less so on music.

The high end ranges sch as Krell,Bryston,Theta and Meridian do very well on all sources,but obviously at a price.

In your price range,the Rotel would probably be my choice,and you have to decide how much of a compromise you're willing to make on each issue....sound quality,power,convenience etc.