1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Channel Outputs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Fatti, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have a Sony DVP-S525D DVD player connected to a Sony HT-SL7A Home Theatre receiver via a digital coax cable. The DVD player, apart from having the coax output, also has six 5.1 channel outputs and a digital optical output. From previous threads, it sounds like there's a 50/50 split as to the merits of coax vs. optical, but are there any merits in connecting the 5.1 channel outputs on the DVD to the 5.1 channel inputs on the Sony Receiver.

The reason I ask is that when playing some films, i.e. the two disk version of Se7en, I have to crank the volume almost half way to get a reasonable volume level, and on other films, the volume can be turned right down to get the same level of volume.

Just wondering if some film soundtracks are better from one DVD player output as opposed to another. Apologies in advance if this sounds daft or obvious.

Cheers

Jon

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I experimented a bit with the 6ch outputs on my NS700 out of curiosity a few times but found the output volume to be even lower than the digital out . I still keep them connected but only for the purpose of SACD.

As far as quality goes you'll probably find that the DD/DTS decoder in your amp is better, and bear in mind that most amplifiers will not allow you to apply DSP's, or equalizer settings etc when using the multi-channel in's so you may well find it a little "flat" (I certainly did). Still, it's all about individual taste so why not give it a go.... you might prefer it :)

Kelvin :D

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 5.1 channel outputs on the player are basicly there for connecting to an amp that hasn't got the required decoders but has the 5.1 channel inputs, this way you can get the benifits of the digital soundtracks from the decoders onboard the dvd player.

Don't think connecting either way will make any difference to the volume of different soundtracks, I think in this instance it is more to do with the discs and how the different soundtracks have been mixed. It is normally recommended to use the amps onboard decoding if you have a choice. :)

4. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks very much Kelvin and Bob, sounds like it's worth sticking with the coax. Just been watching LotR and that sound awesome.

With regard to the coax, and considering it's a digital signal and not analogue, is it worth spending money on a decent coax cable, or just stick with the one supplied with the amp?

Thanks again

Jon:D

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to bin the leads that come supplied with my equipment, so I would replace it, but if you are happy with the results that you are getting then stick with the one you have. ;)