Multi channel AAC on Cambridge Audio 540R

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Keiron, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I’ve had a 540R for a few years now. Love it - just wish it had some more facilities.

Anyway, one little niggle is that I have many files (which I play through my Dune media player) that have AAC multichannel soundtracks. The media player is connected to the 540 by optical.

However, the amp does not pick up the multi channel track. I can only get any surround effect by selecting pro logic.

Can anyone please advise?

2. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I'm pretty sure optical doesn't have enough bandwidth to support a 5.1 AAC sound track and not many amps support that codec I don't think. I imagine your media player is converting the AAC to 5.1 LPCM and there definitely isn't room for that over optical so you probably only get stereo. You need a HDMI link for multichannel LPCM.

David

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,371
    Discrete multichannel HE-AAC can only be conveyed via multichannel analogue. I know of no AV amp capable of decoding HE-AAC. Freeview boxes use it, but they transcode it to Dolby Digital prior to output. Using Pro Logic is the commonest way of dealing with multichannel AAC. The native HE-AAC is mixed down to 2 channel audio with the additional channels matrixed into it prior to output. Pro Logic extracts the matrixed data and reconstructs the multichannel surround sound.