1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi aspect ratio screen size

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mike Swannick, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like a screen to be able to display the whole image from different sources and the host of different aspect ratios they come in.

Assuming that my PJ and screen are both fixed in a suitable position is it the case that by taking the widest possible image size (a DVD in 2.35:1) and the tallest image size (TV in 4:3) that those two values would give me my screen size dimensions?

I understand that the screen wouldn't be a perfect fit for any single aspect ration and 'black bars' would be present either top & bottom, at the sides or both whilst viewing.

Cheers,

Mike.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I would have thought it would be based upon the maximum image size thrown by the projector. All aspect ratios would then sit within this maximum size. This maximum size would of course be dependent upon the pj lens, zoom and throw distance.

Take the Epson TW100 for instance (the one I am getting). At a 14ft 4inch throw distance it will project a 16:9 image (LCD panel format) of between 89" and 121" horizontal and 50" to 68" vertical. Let's say I put it at minimum zoom then I will have a picture size of 89" horizontal. This is therefore the maximum size for any aspect ratio input signal.

So, if I am watching a true 16:9 source then I would have an image of 89" x 50". If I am watching a 2.35:1 source then I would have an image of 89" x 38" (6" black bar top and bottom)and so on.

Just my .02c worth.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Most of my viewing is DVDs, so I made my screen in the 16:9 format.

If I view 2.35:1 movies, I have black bars, or I can use the dvd software player to zoom the picture in to fill the screen (I don't do that, but it's an option you may wish to consider).

If I watch 4:3 stuff (very very rare) I just blank the top and bottom of the image in the same way I would on a 16:9 tv. I could of course just scale the image down so that I have black bars either side.

You just have to decide what's best for you and go that route.

Gary.

4. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhhh, Messiah. Thanks for pointing out the obvious point that i had missed :blush:

All aspects will of course *have* to fit within the thrown image dimensions. I shall return to the PJ calc website and workout my screen size from there.

I knew the answer had to be something easier than I was making it out to be....

Thanks for the 2 replies folks.

Mike.