1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mullholland Drive.................what the fudge??????

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Apocalypse, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ****MANY SPOILER ALERTS FOR MULLHOLLAND DRIVE****

Ok I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but can someone explain what happened in this film. I was chatting through most of the film with my bro but still I was watching the movie and could not for the life of me understand what happened 3/4 of the way into the movie when Nami Watts's character is dead on the bed, the film lost me from there. I notice David Lynch even has 10 clues written down on the sleeve to unlock the mystery of this movie but they didn't help :blush:

The last quarter of the movie was met every 2 mins or so with a "what the ****" comment from one of us :confused: :)

So can someone come clean, what was the blue key for, was the entire 3/4 of the film merely a dream, was there really a car accident?

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure Squirrel will be along soon to make everything clear.

3. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Best thing to do is do a search on google, thats what i did and there are loads of places that explain it all

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By that I can deduce that I'm not alone.....................see I am quick on the uptake :clown:

Perhaps Squirrel God can also explain who the real killer was in Basic Instinct? :D

5. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No mate your far from alone. I had very little idea what it was all about, but it does all make sense when you read up on it. Trust me :D

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's impenatrable nonsense just like all of Lynch's recent work, I used to have a lot of respect for Lynch, but he's lost it and seems to take great pleasure in making no sense.

it's not film-making... it's a private joke that we're not in on.

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can not agree with James I thought it was great film

Here is my take on the film. Although bear in mind I saw it ages ago at the cinema

The first 3/4 film were a fantasy

In reality Betty is Diane who came to Hollywood in search of stardom

met camilla and started an affair, diane obviously became besotted with her and completely loses it when camilla gets engaged to the director bloke at the party

So diane hires a hitman to take out camilla, he tells her she will find a blue key when the jon is done

diane obviously does some drugs and has a fantasy/dream (the first 3/4 of the film) where she is Betty and Camilla survives the hit and they fall in love etc

She has a good tug about this

she realises it is a dream in the very weird club section which is why she cries and looks like she is going to hurl

when she comes around and sees the key she releases camilla is dead, her guilt manifests itself in the old kind couple who gave her a lift from the airport. Haunted by the guilt she shoots herself

The film also starred Melissa George who is gorgous

8. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you and dave lynch have the same doctor?:rolleyes: ;) :D

when was Melissa George in it? were we watching the same film?

9. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    She was in it, she played Camilla Rhodes. but it escapes me as to who she was though

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    she was in quite a few scenes

she was the actress you saw in the audition

she was the one those producer nutters insisted they hire

I used to have a major crush on her as Angel from Home and Away

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mulholland and Donnie were two of the best films of 2002 IMO because they made me think

I am tired of by the numbers, cliched films. Written for the largely dumb American audience, who need directors to join all the dots for them.

Ok Lynch is a times what the fudge for the sake of it. Mostly his films are imaginitive and thought provoking

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Close.

big spoilers ahead

very big

If you watch the 1st scene after the title sequence its Diane's last moments as she staggers towards the bed prior to offing herself.

What follows is a guilt driven delusional fantasy utilising the now distorted elements of diane/betty's real existence. It also plays on contempory cinema themes and mythologies. ( cowboys, failed gansters , bedroom farces with pool attendants even some of Lynchs own signature devices: dwarf , hoods, shadowy conspiracies) .Diane is a product of contempary media mythology after all. Occasionally reality breaks through , diane's corpse on the bed , disassociated views of diane's real existence played by other people ( the waitress and the prostitute.. both distorted memories of diane's real existence) The man behind the wall... just a down and out not some supernatural being as witnessed by him finally letting reality out of the box ( the two old people: probably echos of diane's overbearing pushy parents who probably set her on the road to acting) and which ultimately overcomes diane's fantasy as a result of which she takes her life.

The nonsensical nature is illustrative of Diane's guilty conscience trying to break into her delusion: witness the nightclub scene. The hoakyness of certain characters the wish fulfillment of the audition scene. She doesn't get the part because the director is being leaned on even though at that stage he looks longingly at her. She's also trying to relinquish responsability for her actions ( killing camilla) by constructing this big mythical conspiracy thats pulling all the strings. She isn't really responsible herself she's just a product of her life and its this very lack of control over her own life that has led her to kill camilla but its also something she cannot face and when her delusion breaks down she kills herself.

This is all happening inside Diane's head in the time it takes her to put her head on the pillow until she then kills herself.

Lost Highway has some similarities in theme and structure.

13. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that guys, I might watch it again in a fortnight or so but this time armed with the knowledge, can't say looking at the two leading stars falls into the "boring" category anyway :devil:

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very few though Mr.D, as Lost Highway is perhaps Lynch's most surreal film to date, as you know :)

I loved it and would recommend it highly, but James45 would obviously think it was garbage :p

15. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    probably... :D

Can't believe that Mullholland Dr makes Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks and Wild at Heart look mainstream and regular.

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Twin Peaks contains just as much surreality as the others James, particularly once you've finished watching Fire Walk With Me. Blue Velvet less so, agreed. Can't remember Wild at Heart too well - but will let you know when it's released on DVD :D

17. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Wild at heart is very good, not as strange as the other films listed.

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have it on VHS which I got from Ch4 but taped over it :( Only watched it once - thought it was excellent :( Little did I know it can't be bought at the moment :(

19. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Twin Peaks seemed fairly normal to me... weird touches but that added to the atmosphere I never thought it clouded the story too much, 90per cent of that series was about the wonderfully weird people of twin peaks, 10per cent was about the murder.

Blue Velvet is a classic, but again nothing too strange in there, just a normal kid messing with a bunch of strange folk on the fringes of reality.

I always thought Wild at Heart was slightly stranger, the phone calls, the hitman, William Defoe's 'nastiest man alive'! yuck his teeth still make me feel ill.

20. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Maybe i need to watch it again then, dont really remeber it too well :blush:

21. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't think you understood it all then :(

Whole Black Lodge thing going on with lots to work out :)

Got a link to a TP site that explains it all, but am at work so will have to give it you later :)

22. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149

spoiler

Yes but those few are I would argue the crux of what both films are about.

Lost Highway: main character goes into a psychotic fuge and reinvents himself and his reality to escape from the guilt of what he's done : the whole mobius strip structure of denial and inexorable re- realisation and the reliance on mythologies of gansters , underworld conspiracy and pseudo-supernatural ideas to justify the relinquishment of responsability for guilt-ridden action. The alternative persona tunes car engines by ear as if they were musical instruments, the original character is a musician.

Again as in Mullholland Drive reality is conflicting against delusion and the weird Lynchian signatures are manifestations of this conflict going on with the main character. They are both films that are depicting action and alternative reality that is mainly going on inside the protagonists head.

In Lost Highway the protagonist is caught in a never ending loop of his own denial of reality. In Mullholand Drive Diane's ultimate realisation of reality results in her killing herself and breaking the cycle of denial.

I must add I love Mullholland Dr.
    Lost Highway less so but there is still much to admire.

23. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr D

Spoiler warning on Lost Highway wouldn't go amiss for those who haven't seen it ;)

24. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did I know you would?:D :p

if there's more to it than I saw then I'm not that interested in finding out, think it would spoil it for me if I found out Log Woman was in fact a criminal mastermind tortured by the loss of her son Log-Boy in a lumberjack accident who can no longer face reality and withdraws to the strange world of twin peaks and creates a log to take the place of her son and is really in denial and the FBI's sent out an agent to tell her she's not a criminal but in fact deputy director of the FBI and.... and....

:p :p :p :p :p :p

Couldn't give a monkey's, Lynch is a loon!:D

25. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  26. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wasn't bob the mental side of laura's dad?

27. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. Far more surreal than that :D

You get a massive clue in Fire Walk With Me, at the black lodge seen at the end (which is one of Lynch's finest moments in movie making), where you see the little dwarf and Bob together :D