1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mullard E88CC

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by fotokina, Feb 5, 2005.

1. fotokina

fotokina
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone has any idea where can I buy this valve tube? Cheers :smashin:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    This was described as a special quality double triode by Mullard,and is similar to the ECC88.

For original tubes,I'd suggest contacting Chelmer Valve,who have a huge selection of both new,and NOS valves,and you may also wish to try the Tube Shop.

www.chelmervalve.co.uk

www.tube-shop.com

Both give superb service,although Chelmer Valve are usually my first choice,especially for NOS(New Old Stock)valves,if you are willing to pay what is usually a very worthwhile premium,to get the best tubes.

3. fotokina

fotokina
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Alex2, I found them on www.chelmervalve.co.uk, and they quote me £16/pcs. I'm a newbie in valve tube, can you please tell me is there any difference in quality between, Mullard E88CC, E88CC-01 and ECC88? Cheers!

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    ECC88 is the basic one, E88CC is the special quality one and E88CC-01 is selected for noise / other parameters from the already excellent E88CC stock. Stick with Mullards or something similar as their basic ECC88 will completely trash chinese / russian equivalents. These countries often just re name basic stuff with these better quality designations but it is false marketiing. CV2492 is the military E88CC and CV2493 the -01 variant

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As both Nic and I have said,the E88CC is the special quality version of this double triode valve,and has almost exactly similar electrical characteristics to the lower quality ECC88.

Again,both of us have suggested that it's best to stick with the original Mullard valves for small signal applications,as most of the modern equivalents are nowhere near as good.
    Obviously,the old or NOS tubes,will cost significantly more,but given the lifetime of small signal triodes,it will be money well spent in the end.

Harry at Chelmer Valve is a great guy,and knows almost every bit of stock he has.....if you want the best at a fair price,take the Mullard E88CC's,or their military equivalents,as listed by Nic.

In all of the valve gear I have,or have had,I've found the original tubes to be the best,even if some are getting hard to obtain now,and the only real exceptions have been in terms of power tubes such as the TJ Meshplate 300Bs,or the Chinese KT66 copies,some of which are now pretty much indistinguishable from the originals.

6. fotokina

fotokina
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you! I agree with both of you the original tube to be the best, I will get the original Mullard E88CC from Harry for my MF X-can V2 to give the best sound for my Beyer DT880. Cheers!

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    In that case....spend and enjoy!