• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Muliple Router Problem

Superdude999

Standard Member
In my house, I have a problem where I cannot have more than one router connected to the internet! This is really annoying as I keep my main router downstairs with an ethernet in the main computer. I have a second router but whenever I plug it in to a different phone line they both disconnect. I don't feel like splashing out on a wireless adapter for my xbox which is upstairs.

Is this normal??? If not how can I fix it?

All I want is to have one router running downstairs for my computer and one upstairs for my xbox at the same time...

Thanks

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
What do you mean by 'a different phone line'? If you mean an extension? (That is to say you only have one telephone number for all the sockets in the house) then it won't work - plain and simple. You can only have one ADSL modem on a line. In order have two routers you need two physically separate Telephone lines each with an ADSL service.

To supply a service upstairs all you need do is run an Ethernet cable or use two powerline adapters such as Homeplugs. To run multiple device upstairs you need to use an Ethernet switch (under a tenner) NOT a router.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom