Mulholland Drive Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I still can't believe that I haven't seen this movie.

There should be a 4K restoration of Lost Highway, the best Lynch film by far, imo.

I tried watching this a while back and could not get into it, Maybe I will give it another go :)

Loved Twin Peaks (well the first series, The second got a bit "mental" shall we say) :D

My copy has shipped. Been looking forward to this edition :)

Hmmm. If it's the same transfer as the criterion remaster then I think a 10 for video is extremely generous. I'm happy with grain but there are low light compression artefacts which pop up from time to time. The car journey during the opening credits is a pretty good example, particularly around the edges of the headlight beam. Setting your display to a gamma of 2.4 helps hide some of the mess but doesn't completely cure it.

I tried watching this a while back and could not get into it, Maybe I will give it another go :)

Loved Twin Peaks (well the first series, The second got a bit "mental" shall we say) :D
Blimey if Twin Peaks season 2 was a bit mental for you then dont watch Fire Walk With Me or Inland Empire! [emoji3]

Mine the box set,not the best 1080i and 2.0 soundtrack :(,hopefully will get an better copy one day :)
Oh dear! I got the German one which is 1080p and 5.1 hd but it isnt great (and Lynch doesnt really do surround anyway [emoji6])

Blimey if Twin Peaks season 2 was a bit mental for you then dont watch Fire Walk With Me or Inland Empire! [emoji3]
I watched fire walk with me as I got myself the bluray set when it came out :)

Hoping the new series makes slightly more sense. Still do not get the dancing dwarf/midget :laugh:

Hmmm. If it's the same transfer as the criterion remaster then I think a 10 for video is extremely generous. I'm happy with grain but there are low light compression artefacts which pop up from time to time. The car journey during the opening credits is a pretty good example, particularly around the edges of the headlight beam. Setting your display to a gamma of 2.4 helps hide some of the mess but doesn't completely cure it.

As I understand it, this is based on the same transfer as the Criterion BD, though David Mackenzie encoded this new SC release. Hopefully this will be free of the compression issues that bugged the Criterion.

Extraordinary film (and Lynch's best, in my view, followed closely by Blue Velvet).

Lost Highway
is undoubtedly a companion piece, since it's very similar in terms of narrative and of course predates Mulholland Drive, though I tend to tune out during LH once Bill Pullman enters a fugue state and morphs in Balthazar Getty.

As I understand it, this is based on the same transfer as the Criterion BD, though David Mackenzie encoded this new SC release. Hopefully this will be free of the compression issues that bugged the Criterion.

Extraordinary film (and Lynch's best, in my view, followed closely by Blue Velvet).

Lost Highway
is undoubtedly a companion piece, since it's very similar in terms of narrative and of course predates Mulholland Drive, though I tend to tune out during LH once Bill Pullman enters a fugue state and morphs in Balthazar Getty.
Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet are my joint favourite Lynch films so similar to you.

Guess mine
10258273_635430169861217_6686811524747388397_n.jpg

Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet are my joint favourite Lynch films so similar to you.

Clearly you're a man of impeccable taste; and in response to systemsdead, I'll gladly slip Eraserhead in at number three, as loathed as I am to participate in film ranking (I know, I started this)!

Mulhollad Drive is very good but as implied earlier it is almost a remake in terms of theme and ideas of Lost Highway - if you understand one you will understand the other

No love for The Straight Story guys?

I must admit that i'm actually a bit of a detractor of Lynch as I don't really like the majority of his output, but Lost Highway, The Straight Story and maybe Mulholland Drive had me sorted out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom