Mulholland Drive 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, Simon.
A fave movie of mine and essential purchase.
The film is packed with so many themes and emotions that it's a classic on so many levels - and not just Lynchian ones.

Great film and the box comes in handy if you need a replacement house brick :lesson:

There's even a hidden compartment to conceal Werther's Originals in :smashin:

Last edited:
Quite possibly the finest film of the 21st century. The iTunes version went 4K DV a week or so ago and it looks glorious. Very tempted to get this set ad it's a film I seemed to have bought every time a new version is released.

I have never seen this.... (ducks)

Also one of my favourite Lynch films, in fact films, along with The Straight Story. Will probably go for the iTunes version when I get chance.

Hi Simon,

Great review and has influenced me to get it. The film is an enigma for me to understand but Lynch is a brilliant director and did enjoy watching the film first time round.

Perhaps after a few years between viewings I will get more of it, but the fact that the picture is prisitine and it is time I watched it again, makes this worth the money.

My joint-favourite Lynch film along with Blue Velvet even if Dune is still my most watched by Lynch! :D

Would have bought a normal release already so I'm waiting this out - I don't need another shoe box to put J-cards in...

Good review Simon. I haven’t seen this for years and was holding back for the standard release but your review has tempted me to jump sooner.

My joint-favourite Lynch film along with Blue Velvet even if Dune is still my most watched by Lynch! :D

Would have bought a normal release already so I'm waiting this out - I don't need another shoe box to put J-cards in...
Agreed - the box is vast with a bit of tat and in my view poor and unrepresentative artwork - looks like a travel poster from the titanic

Not only one of my personal favourites, Lynch or otherwise, it’s also scarily relevant as the review points out. Also the best meme ever created!

“Mobius loop of surrealism”
I have no idea what that is - and indeed thought it made up until now - other than a sample Worf says in STNG sampled to good effect by Orbital I think

“Mobius loop of surrealism”
I have no idea what that is - and indeed thought it made up until now - other than a sample Worf says in STNG sampled to good effect by Orbital I think

mulholland-dr-60ea1c1a05a0f.jpg

This is the exact same disc as the Criterion release in the US

Looks like the UK disc is not the same as the US disc and the criterion logo is showing up because they were involved.

Criterion US disc (spec courtest: caps-a-holic)

Code:
Name:                   00001.MPLS
Length:                 2:27:20.289 (h:m:s.ms)
Size:                   94,690,781,184 bytes
Total Bitrate:          85.69 Mbps

(*) Indicates included stream hidden by this playlist.

VIDEO:

Codec                   Bitrate             Description    
-----                   -------             -----------    
MPEG-H HEVC Video       70360 kbps          2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / 1000nits / HDR10 / BT.2020
* MPEG-H HEVC Video     7538 kbps (9.68%)   1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / 1000nits / Dolby Vision FEL / BT.2020

AUDIO:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description    
-----                           --------        -------         -----------    
DTS-HD Master Audio             English         3873 kbps       5.1 / 48 kHz / 3873 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)

SUBTITLES:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description    
-----                           --------        -------         -----------    
Presentation Graphics           English         28.647 kbps

The StudioCanal disc (which is what's being distributed in UK, Germany, France and Australia) is not the same as the Criterion disc. They're both made from the same master, but for different territories, so they have different encodes.

Quite possibly the finest film of the 21st century. The iTunes version went 4K DV a week or so ago and it looks glorious. Very tempted to get this set ad it's a film I seemed to have bought every time a new version is released.

Since I'm struggling to name a finer film made this century, I'd go further.

I don't consider Mulholland Drive inscrutable after the first couple of viewings.

Once we separate the (non-linear) reality act from Diane's dream/fantasy/denial - a fantasy that cracks, then collapses during the Club Silencio scene - the narrative makes perfect sense. Then you get into the really fascinating, heartbreaking stuff, namely unpacking Diane's backstory.

It's of course equally fascinating and heartbreaking as commentary on Hollywood and the casting couch - which, as pointed out, feels even more astutely observed through a post-Weinstein lens.

It's a bloody masterpiece, really.

I don't think Naomi Watts gets enough credit for her performance in this film. One scene that really stands out for me is the audition where she is forced to improvise. Electric. I liked the Club Silencio scene enough to buy Rebekah del Rio's All My Life album with Llorando on it.

£40 for the 4K version is too much. I might have to satisfy myself with a second-hand Blu-ray copy.

Excellent film.

One of the best Movies. It’s in my top 100.
You have to like non lineair story telling.
And you have to like that you can make up your own interpretations.
Lynch is not spelling it out for you to understand.
When you like all that stuff than this is a great movie.

This was a film that I had heard a lot about over the years but I never got around to watching it until tonight.

I am aware of Lynch's rather surreal and abstract style but this felt much more accessible than some of his other work. I found it to be an excellent film that had me glued from beginning to end. It's also one of those films that stays with you which is quite rare these days.

I thought the film was going one way but it took a different direction which had me trying to work it out and then it reveals the tragic truth.

It's not completely spelled out but you can piece it together. The sad thing is, despite it being a work of fiction, much of it is based on the reality of the movie industry in Hollywood.

Due to the abstract nature of the film there are many ways you can interpret the events and what really happened but the truth is in there.

I can understand why it has the reputation it does, a modern classic. The 4k disc looks amazing and has a distinctly film look about it. I'm glad I got to experience it for the first time in 4K.

What a film. Must of seen this when it first came out on dvd years ago. Remembered nowt about it so it was like the first time all over again. Magnificent.
I don’t get the scary man behind the cafe, however it’s one of the best jump scares eves.

Silencio.....

Another great David Lynch film, love they way they make you think. You can always watch it again, months later, and see things in a different light.

I think I'm losing my mind. I bought it this past weekend for only $25 USD.
Still can't get my head around what people love about Lynch's films. Blue Velvet is something I'll probably never watch again, but I do own the UHD disc of Dune.

This is the Criterion set, a DigiBook format:

PXL_20220716_194205828.MP.jpg

PXL_20220716_194428042.MP.jpg

Yesterday the UHD disc froze at 1:42, but I cleaned it again this morning & it was fine.

Still don't get it, at all!
I guess I will read the booklet that comes with it, maybe there'll be some insight in there.

Not much bonus material, which is only on the HD blu-ray.

Two more I bought, just because:
UHD Angel Heart steelbook
HD Texas Chainsaw Massacre steelbook

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom