Mulholland Drive: 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition 4K UHD

French release (StudioCanal) release date: 8th December 2021
German release date: 9th December 2021

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Artwork showing on French/German listings for the StudioCanal Collector's Edition.
UK release ending up the same seems very likely but still TBA/TBC.

MU_DR_4K_de.png

Attachments

• MU_DR_4K_de (2).jpg
    MU_DR_4K_de (2).jpg
    159 KB · Views: 66
  • MU_DR_4K_de (3).jpg
    MU_DR_4K_de (3).jpg
    198 KB · Views: 130
  • MU_DR_4K_de (4).jpg
    MU_DR_4K_de (4).jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 75
  • MU_DR_4K_de (5).jpg
    MU_DR_4K_de (5).jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 81
  • MU_DR_4K_de (6).jpg
    MU_DR_4K_de (6).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 136
  • MU_DR_4K_de (7).jpg
    MU_DR_4K_de (7).jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 71
UK release now confirmed and out on 22nd November 2021 6th December 2021
HMV pre-order link/details added to OP.

MD_CE_4KUHD.jpg

Last edited:
yeah doesnt scream the film, but does reference the blue(reality)/red(fantasy) symbolism

Kind of torn now between keeping my Criterion order or waiting and hoping that this is both encoded by FiM for StudioCanal and also doesn't suffer the horrible compression problems that they've hit some other releases with (though Criterion are guilty of that too but 4K is new territory, so who knows).

Does it incude subtitles? I have 500 blu ray titles and only five of those have no English captions for the hard of hearing.

All five are David Lynch titles. The two Studio Canal releases of MD I have both don't include them. Neither does Blu Velvet. Neither does Inland Empire (the latter has a subtitle track included for the Polish parts but English dialogue was removed from the SRT file in this UK release).

Criterion list SDH captions on their website for the Criteron UHD release.

Kind of torn now between keeping my Criterion order or waiting and hoping that this is both encoded by FiM for StudioCanal and also doesn't suffer the horrible compression problems that they've hit some other releases with (though Criterion are guilty of that too but 4K is new territory, so who knows).
Best waiting anyway I think to see what we get...

The new 4K HDR transfer was done at Fotokem in LA under the presence and supervision of both Lynch and Deming. Lynch's visits to the Fotokem were some of his first outings from self-isolation during the lockdown. Fokokem are legit and are long-time Lynch collaborators.

Criterion are using the same transfer. I would presume they won't mess up the encode with these new landmark releases. Especially with flexibility afforded by UHD discs.

Thanks, that’s great insight. I also think they are going to try to come in very strong in the 4K market and not put out anything sub-standard.

With FiM promoting the SC release we can rest easy knowing they're on encoding duties :smashin:

With FiM promoting the SC release we can rest easy knowing they're on encoding duties :smashin:

Not that bothered about the art but I really like the side with the title in huge text...hope that stays. Does seem a bit 'lightweight' for tat mind.

UK release date put back a couple of weeks to 6th December 2021

I have switched out my order for this and some other films from Criterion to Barnes & Noble with their 50% off Criterion sale (to ship via Stackry).

This, Menace II Society, Uncut Gems and the upcoming Once Upon A Time In China complete collection, all for about $110. Very excited now and even if the FiM encode for SC works out better than Criterion’s I can decide more easily at the price I paid which to keep!

Amazon US have this for $24.99 so £29.98inc with their currency charge (always 3%-4% higher than my currency fee free cards).

Amazon product ASIN B09CS7VFDT

I'll probably go with the UK or Australian release. Tempted by that Zoom price but not too much as I'm not sure they'll even be here.

Removed, as linked price was for Blu-ray version...

Last edited:
So is the SC 4K set missing some extras that where on the previous release? I see no mention anywhere of the Lynch/Watts interview or the deleted scene etc. Which is very curious if they’re gone. I was kind of hoping this would be the “definitive” and complete version to own.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom