Mulholland Dr. 4K UHD - Criterion vs StudioCanal

I'm sorry, but please relate excatly what is wrong with the Criterion disc that warrants your disapproval of it?

Last edited:
I'm not defending anyone. I'm at a loss as to what is actually wrong with the Criterion Disc to warrant the rhetoric being exhibited by some within this thread?. There are no bad reviews of it and doubt anyone who bought one is regretting it either?

Yeah, moan about something if it is actually faulty or if it is badly done, but this doesn't appear to be the case?????

If I were defending them then why would I need to? They don't appear to have done anything wrong.
Check the Criterion threads at the other place. They arent the bestest of the bestest that their fanboys like to claim they are. Theyre usually very good but not perfect.

I've never said that they are the bestest of the bestest.

Again, Im at a loss as to why you are critising them or what it is they've done to warrant such critism. Have you even watched the Criterion release?

There's no disputing that the SC release may in deed be the better option due to the differences with the endcoding, but there's nothing about the Criterion release that warrants trying to trash it or anything that suggests Criterion have done something adversely wrong. I'm pretty damn sure that whichever release people have that they'll be happy with it regardless of wheher it originated from StudioCanal or Criterion?

Can anyone who's seen both versions please just deliver us from evil and post some highlights of what the main differences are between the two encodes of the exact same transfer?

I only have the Crit 4K of this as had some amazon.com vouchers to use so got it 'for free' - It looks amazing IMHO on my calibrated OLED. I'm sure the SC version is slightly better as FiM encodes are the world standard, BUT (and in my eyes a nice big BUT!) on the avergae screen at the average viewing distance I doubt theres much of a difference to notice between the 2 in motion - maybe 1-2% I'd hazard a guess at, most of the film I doubt you'd know which one you were watching. If extras are your thing then check which set meets your requiirements, and obviously cost too as the standard UK release will be a damn sight cheaper than the Crit to get (unless like me you have US funds to use) - so for a UK buyer I'd say buy the UK release as its probably slightly better and a fair bit cheaper.
Whatever one you plump for, definitely buy it though as its an AMAZING film :)

Brought home the Criterion digibook yesterday & finally got around to playing it this morning, & it would hang at 01:42 every time without fail.
Apparently this is a thing when switching layers on a BD-100.

Going to get another copy in a couple of days from the retailer, but I'm 88% sure it will have the same result.
I'm a little annoyed at myself for not searching the forum before purchase, I'd have gone for the S.C. release, but the region might not work for me.

Brought home the Criterion digibook yesterday & finally got around to playing it this morning, & it would hang at 01:42 every time without fail.
Apparently this is a thing when switching layers on a BD-100.

Going to get another copy in a couple of days from the retailer, but I'm 88% sure it will have the same result.
I'm a little annoyed at myself for not searching the forum before purchase, I'd have gone for the S.C. release, but the region might not work for me.
So have you found the difference between the Criterion vs SC. What's the result?

In the past I always saw it in low quality & hated it, so I tried in the highest quality, but alas.
I think I owned it 3 months before selling for half what I paid.

In the past I always saw it in low quality & hated it, so I tried in the highest quality, but alas.
I think I owned it 3 months before selling for half what I paid.
Meaning Studiocanal version was better than Criterion?

I only owned the Criterion, never saw the SC one. The posh bookstore, Barnes & Noble had a sale on Criterion stuff, so I thought I'd give it one last shot.
I also picked up the special edition Hellraiser that day from Arrow & I love it:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom