1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muhaha: Dual Servo15's have landed (and M&K MPS1610 appraisal)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Smurfin, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Finally got everything setup for some temporary playback before I move.

Twin servos along with my new M&Ks are currently pounding out the dts version of Titan AE. And O-M-G......this is fun:D

Firstly, a word on the M&Ks....

Although I've only had them a couple of days and they're still running in, I'm very very impressed.

The sound is altogether more clear, and the clarity......fantastic! The level of detail I'm hearing is superb (no doubt assisted by my recent change to pre/power), and I'm hearing for the first time a much more clinical sound.

Actually clinical isn't perhaps the best word to describe them, as I think that conjures up a picture of harshness and brightness. Neutral is perhaps better. And I've just realised how much I love neutral :)

Are there any drawbacks? Well, I've not played them @ reference level yet, loudest so far is -10db. Most soundtracks seem fine, but I have noticed a slight harshness on some dialogue. Not sure if this is down to room acoustics, running in time or just the speakers themselves (amplification is Rotel 1075 so that should be fine), but I'll get a chance to fully evaluate them once I've moved and am able to play around with room furniture etc.

In fact, I believe it's a combination of all 3 above...more so down to running in time and acoustics I think: I replayed the ROTK teaser again earlier today and the harshness in Gandalfs voice didn't seem quite a noticeable as the day I first got the M&Ks: part of me thinks theres an element of "getting used" to the new sound too, asI've always lived with a very "coloured" sound.

No doubt the M&Ks will sound even better once they've loosened up a bit, as I really had to up the gain on the channel levels when recalibrating from my old speakers.

As for the look of them...well they're certainly bigger than the 1510s - basically wider and taller (they stand 11.7" high), with a bigger woofer (6.5" I think). On my sound organisation stands they look the business (who cares about black boxes or speaker grilles eh? ;))

The other huge factor on the front soundstage is the subwoofer...and I should now make that plural:D

My living room looks scary..especially when the Dual Servos (one either side of the centre speaker) have their grilles off:eek:

I've done very little to set them up properly (no point as the whole lots got to be packed up next weekend), literally plugged them both in, turned the volume dials down (got they're almost switched off)....and spun some serious LFE discs.

The last time I tried two subwoofers together was when I (briefly) owned 2 x REL Storms. And did I struggle with setting them up! - I tried and tried and couldn't get them to sound right (although this was when I didn't really know how to set them up properly anyway:rolleyes: ). So it was with more than a little trepidation that I flicked the power switch on both subs and watched 2 green lights come on before my eyes:devil:

Jurassic Park III, Titan AE, SW TPM and AOTC have all gone through, and with startling results.

To sum it all up..... Oh - my - God.

Dual servos have landed.....and rocked my house:eek: :eek: It's not so much "more bass"....as "deeper bass".

Actually its not even deeper bass....but what I really have noticed is that when the frequency plummets into the sub 20hz REAL BASS territory...the impact is without question a hell of alot more forceful.

It seems smoother, more effortless, and Christ:eek: - the window at the back of my living room really bloody shakes now (the frame rattles).

When the ship flies in to land at the beginning of AOTC the room is pressurised like I've never felt (and it was good before).....the opening moments of JPIII are frightening....and the Ice Field sequence is tremendous. It's a real world difference, and that's what so surprised me (I bought it thinking if it didn't make much difference I'd sell it on for the same money).

It certainly needs tweaking, there are some frequences where it sounds slightly boomy, but the main concern is whether I can get the 2 working together well in my new HC room. I really want to avoid stacking them if I can, but we'll just have to see....

As for the question: Is it worth £400 for a 2nd servo 15? Well considering the two have cost me £918 in total (including 5 year warranty), which is around the price of a REL Storm(?) and less than a REL Stadium or even the JAMO (or JBL?) Servo sub.....it's a no brainer. Big bucks bass for small money (in relative terms).

I'm a happy man.

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to get a second sub too but they longer sell what I have so I'm buggered, like you Smurfin I like my bass to be interactive as well as heard :)

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Yep Apocalypse, wait until the DD-18 hype really kicks in, there will be a few people selling off their HGS-18s for silly prices.

Or sell your single and buy 2 Servo-15s;)

4. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From where?

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What did catch my eye was selling the HGS and getting 2 x SVS PB2s, I bet they would kick some ass. At the back of my mind though I know it'll take some serious bit of kit to improve on the HGS in my small room, definitely been the best bit of kit I've ever bought.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    pm me those room details and I will play :)

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    :blush: Best keep checking the classifieds now I guess...

8. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Smurf.

Sounds like the MPS1610's are good quality.
    No surprise to hear you say that they are clean & neutral.
    I think that's a definite M&K trait.
    A front 3 of them make a very good front soundfield.
    Interesting to hear your remarks about the presence of slight harsh tendencies. Room acoustics will play their part.
    A nice little run in period will tell you more.

Dont crank it up too much too soon though.

Adz

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    How long should I allow for running in though (until I can crank it to reference level)? They've been running around 20 hours since I got them, at various volumes from -45db to -10db.

10. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Smurf.

Does it say anything in the user manual / literature about running in periods?

I must admit i dont push any new speaker for about a week.

But, that's just me being conservative.

I still haven't cranked up my Mackies yet.

Adz

11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pardon my thickness but was this directed at me :blush: :)

12. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure there will be one or two people replacing their HGS-18's with the new Digital Drive units. Whether they will give these away at "silly prices" remains to be seen.

Also Matt, you'll often find that products taking a premier position in the market place (even before launch) really doesn't need hype. As the HGS-18 before it, the Digital Drive units will again reach new heights (not just my opinion).
    The value aspect of these new heights will be judged by the end user. If they deem ultimate usability is important they will buy.
    In fact many already have.

Besides the performance aspect, in it's simplest form, many would agree that a single phase position throughout the frequency scale (say 80Hz down to 20Hz) is not optimum. In other words, the ideal phase position will not be the same at every frequency notch. Just the opposite. The Digital Drive units allow you to set the phase anywhere from 0 to 180 degrees at each and every notch of the frequency range. We are not looking at BFD here.

Glad you like your M&K's.

Regards
    Eric

13. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Matt

I'm pleased (relieved?) that you liked twin Servo's. Look's like RS will have quite a backlog of orders for the Servo 15!

14. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's very impressive technology IMO, would it have been possible for Velodyne to create a seperate unit that could turn an HGS into a DD model. From what I can see the DD series is the HGS series with much improved equalisation and phase control, in effect a £600 equaliser (3300 - 2695). I'd buy the unit in a second if it existed but I assume the technology can only work with the new DD subs, shame really :)

15. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New accelerometer Phil. And I would suspect that the amplifier is quite different, or rather if I were the designer, I would have changed it's operation from straight class D to DSP switched like class T amplifiers.

16. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,
    As Mark mentioned, the Digital Drive range units have an all new digital accelerometer. The analogue unit as used in the HGS series measured cone movement approx 3500 times per second. The new one used in the digital domain measures cone movement over 15,000 times per second. There are also amplifier and driver modifications. More info here

http://www.velodyne.com/pages/productsp/DigitalDrive.html

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Not sure anyone can get them now. I'm soooo glad I added another, it's made a superb difference, but I guess the real test is how they interact in my new room. Hopefully I can get them both singing:D

18. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Puh. Lexicon DC-2, Rotel 1075, and M&K speakers.

Bet you saved up for instead! :)
    this

19. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Oh damn I bought the wrong thing! Nathan, would you take this little lot off my hands so I can buy Bose please?;)

Actually to be fair I've only ever heard a couple of Bose systems....

20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I hope that you don't report a massive improvement as I may feel obliged to get my credit card out again for a second sub.

I suppose that I should have tried it out whilst I had Jase's pair in my garage but despite the request to run them in for him, I was too lazy to set another one up :(

21. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Ian Ian Ian.....:rolleyes:

Remember I've not set mine up properly yet, and 50% of the time it's no different to having a single servo. But the difference is significant when the sub-20hz depths are plumbed. Is it worth getting another? Hell yes! (assuming you can get them working well in your room).

Lower distortion and greater SPL at low frequencies? Do you really need to ask? :D

22. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately a second sub will cost me over £4,000 as in order to fit it in comfortably I will have to buy a plasma.

23. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    haha:devil:

24. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Since you are already getting good bass, and your room isn't huge, I think you'd be getting well into diminishing returns territory if you got a second sub. Put the money towards a plasma. I'm glad I did :D

Cheers,
    Liam

25. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It wasn't but if......