much difference

digicomp

I'm getting a new laptop which has the processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo processor T6570.

My existing system has Athlon 64 single core 3200+ (desktop). Would I notice much difference? Particulalry ripping dvd's say?
Tried googling but can't find much information on this.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'd imagine it'll be at least twice fast for things limited by the speed of the processor. DVD ripping won't be affected as that's limited by the speed of the DVD drive but if you convert it to another format afterwards then that'll see a big benefit.

digicomp

EndlessWaves
Thank you for reply. More than happy now with you've said. I have it in the back of my mind for some strange reason that laptop cpu's aren't as good as desktops!!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
EndlessWaves
Thank you for reply. More than happy now with you've said. I have it in the back of my mind for some strange reason that laptop cpu's aren't as good as desktops!!

They aren't and while the gap has narrowed they do generally still run at slower speeds to keep the power usage and heat down.

However, it's also a fair bit newer so even if laptop processors were half the speed of desktop ones (they're probably closer to 80-90%) the three to four years that have passed between the release of the two processors would mean speeds had doubled twice, once to the speed of your Athlon 64 and then again to twice that.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom