Much diference between these 2 lenses?

blakeyboy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
At the moment I have EF-S 18-55mm USM lense on my 350d. I am thinking of getting a Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS but at around £330 for it, is it really worth it. Have any of you made the change and noticed a diference?

I replaced my kits lens with the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 (now on sale on the bay of e ;) ), which is a fantastic lens and similar money - depends really if you need the extra range and IS, or if you want a faster lens. I've heard good things about the 17-85 though.

barongreenback said:
I replaced my kits lens with the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 (now on sale on the bay of e ;) )

Had a look, why are you selling?

Yep ;) That and I'm potentially looking at going full frame and the 18-50 isn't compatible. It's a damned shame actually because the lens is just as sharp as the 24-105 and the extra reach at the bottom end is quite useful. If Sigma brought out an equivalent model compatible with FF, I'd buy it again.

I will keep my eye on it. I am after a 24-105 but I may get this in the meantime.
I do like my 10-20, the build quality is excellent compared to the kit lens.

blakeyboy said:
At the moment I have EF-S 18-55mm USM lense on my 350d. I am thinking of getting a Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS but at around £330 for it, is it really worth it. Have any of you made the change and noticed a diference?
Yes
Downside..
Cost...:rolleyes:
Size....:blush:
Becuase of the increased length, sometimes the flash casts a shadow if care is not taken. this probably appiles to all lenses longer than the kit lens
Advantage
everything else
Since swapping them round 4 months ago I have never been tempted to put the kit lens back on

Put in perspective I certainly think its worth the money over the kit lens ( and I got mine for £410, then). Possibly the second best Canon non-L lens for non full frame sensors. There is still the 17-55 ( 2.8) IS;) but at twice the cost:nono:

However if you are in no hurry, the kit lens is by no means "rubbish"
Its just that with better lenses ( esp L) you can concentrate on getting the best pic possible without worriying about the lenses limitations

Definately worth it, the difference in clarity, quality and range of the lense is worth the money. My kit lense is now in the loft never to be used again :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom