MTX Mototrax - 1st impressions

Messiah

Well, fired this up tonight and spent 15 minutes getting used to it. For anyone who's played ATV this will feel immediately familiar. Similar controls, graphics, game play etc and even the same lean controls etc to help you fly through the air and take bends etc.

Graphics are OK, not PGR2 quality, but then what is? Lots of options to customise your rider and bike etc even down to having your name on the back of your shirt which should be a welcome relief for all us PGR2 racers who get blinded by the names hovering above the cars in front of you.

It certainly feels like a fast paced game and looking through the menus and options there should be a fair bit to keep one busy with the career challenges and so on. The Live option is a nice addition and should add some real fun to this one. Unfortunately, I guess it's not been flying off the shelves too quickly as I was unable to find anyone else playing online so my 15 minutes were spent on my lonesome :( This also means I am unable to comment on the Live playability but I reckon it should be a blast as long as the dreaded lag does not show up.

Not sure it will have the longevity of games like RS3 and PGR2 but for something different I think it's well worth giving it a go. I also reckon we may see it drop in price quite quickly (based on the number of online players tonight - ZERO) so you may wish to hold out.

All in all, a good laugh, with good playability and some neat touches like foot down corners, wheelies and spins etc. Also, a bit like PGR2 you have to earn extra equipment and upgrades so should add something to the mix.

If anyone else gets it then I'll see you online for a race :hiya:

Stereo Steve

Novice Member
I'm tempted but just got Pandora so want to get my moneysworth out of that for at least a month. As you say, it's one of those that may get cheap quickly so I think I'll hold off and pick it up from ebay for a tenner in a couple months.

I've been looking forward to a good MX game though as the MX Madness on my laptop keeps me amused for hours on the train.

Messiah

Yeah maybe, but it's the Live option that is the attraction for me. I get fed up with all non-Live games in about 30 mins :)

kwijibo

Standard Member
I get this tomorrow, so I'll see you on Live sometime......:smashin:

Messiah

Excellent. Look forward to it. Won't be on tomorrow but should be Fri night and weekend.

-Spike-

Kwij - hurry up and accept that friends request I sent you ;)

I've played this a lot know, on and offline and love it :)
Online works well although it is very bandwidth heavy, not hosted above 5 players but that worked ok, without any lag.
You cannot change tracks online without re-starting the server but on the plus side the track acts as the lobby - see a person join - reset the game and they are in on the track with you.
This side of it works very well with you being able to chat and practice until you are ready to start the game again.
There is also a lot more to it than I first thought, with the use of clutch, supspension and stance playing a major factor in gaining time especially over the jumps.
As for cornering, I'm still experimenting...

Offline is one heck of a challenge as well with bigger bikes tracks and the ability to customise, all of which can carry over to Xbox Live.

Great game which is a huge amount of fun particularly online.

kwijibo

Standard Member
sounds like we could be on for a game soon then. I think it may be wise for me to get a few lap practice as it sounds like you are a bit useful

-Spike-

Only useful at crashing into barriers at the moment :)

For me the best practice has been to race online.
Most of the players are American and as they have had the game longer than us, you usually find they have most of the tracks unlocked, all of the players so far have been very helpful with advice.

kwijibo

Standard Member
Got it now!! Should get to play it over the weekend (definately Easter weekend) so I'll see you on Live. Who else has it? Anyone want to add me to their friends list so we can beat the new boy! (me:blush: )

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom