1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTV XBox 360 Revealed!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by AML, May 13, 2005.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Well what did you all think?

Finial design and name are confirmed!
    Other specs?

I did notice soemthing cool, the wireless lan antena sticking out the back!

Also when they brought it out, they didnt even plug it in before switching it on!

Could it be a completely wireless system?

At least we know that the pads are.

Face plates are interchangable. Also a bonus.

Software wise, they look amazing. I particularly like the new Need For Speed demo.

What do u guys think?

2. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    We won't be able to watch it here until this evening, unless anyone has a link to a download.

3. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    A link to a download would be good for those of us without MTV :lease: :lease: :lease:

4. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Monster,
    To wet your appetite, have a look at the official Xbox page for loads on info, until some can pot a link HERE

5. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
  6. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    This one is defo getting sky+ and stuck onto my archos for future viewing ... just been reading the review over at teamxbox - water cooling system :) Funky processor - cant wait to hear more about this 2nite - the beers are already cooling !

7. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Here's my initial thoughts:

The positives
    • The console overall looks quite solid and I like the design.
    • I'm very happy that we see a worldwide launch this year.
    • I like the idea of a detachable hard-drive.
    • All games will support 16:9 and 720p and 1080i :thumbsup:
    • Stands vertically or horizontally - a good thing imo especially as boxes overcrowd my plasma!
    • Windows Media Centre Extender built in - the potential for this is quite big
    • 3 USB 2.0 ports - ingenious

The negatives

• I'm a bit disappointed that the console won't have a HD-DVD drive (although this was probably asking too much anyway).
    • No HDMI/DVI :thumbsdow
    • I'm not too happy that the wireless controllers will run off AAA batteries, let's hope they bring the new rechargeable ones out ASAP!
    • No details on price
    • No details on backwards compatibility (which probably means it won't be :( )

9. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
  10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    One of the things I would want to do with something like this is to surf the net as well, does it come with a browser ?

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well I pretty much agree with Tejstar some thoughts :

Yea difficult one this. But seing as the standards and support are still sketchy, its a bit hard to see how they could incorporate in a console being launched this year and that has been in developement for 3 years at least. The only reason PS3 has Blu Ray is that Sony have developed this standard. And remember HDDVD support / Blu Ray is going to massively add to the price.

I kept reading people on here wanted / expected this. Never going to happen on a home console at the moment. Remember we are geeks and understand this stuff, 99% of the people who buy these things arent and would never use these inputs. It just increases the price for the majority.

Well so do the wavebirds and they are great controllers, just get some Nihm rechargables the high capacity ones will last forever in controllers ! And again its a trade off on price, in build battery packs and recharge stations would significantly add to the cost. You cant have it both ways - cheap entry level and features to the max (Dvi etc etc etc)

You wouldnt expect this so early on surely would you ?

The rumours are suggesting it will be available on the more expensive of the units. Maybe this is why they havent mentioned it, they dont want to confuse people.

12. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Hardware aside. What do u guys think about the graphics?

I was impressed by everything i saw. Need For speed, Quake 4, Ghost Recon 4 and so forth.

Some of the games looked almost as good as HL2 and Doom 3.

If we can expect the first batch of games to look this good, imagine what we will see a year after the machine comes out!

Not only the graphics but the scale of games could be huge. Imagine GTA on the 360!

I really hope all western developers ditch the PS2 and 3 and go for XBox 360 exclussives!

13. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I was expecting a little more graphically really, although I love the look of DOA4. Overall pretty much what I expected

Meh

14. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i dont know if this is the pc gamer in me talking but im not impressed to be honest. i grew up on consoles and only been a serious pc gamer for the past year maybe. maybe im to critical and they havnt really found out what the console can do but its not the breataking leap i expected it to be. only ones that have remoted me had me smiling was the game on the unreal 3 engine and GR3

im on about graphics by the way :D

bit miffed at no dvi/hmdi as well

15. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,467
    'Some of the games looked almost as good as HL2 and Doom 3' - that's a very worrying comment I have to say, I'd expect the Xbox 360 to look every bit as good if not better than HL2 and Doom3, I don't just expect the next gens consoles to have played catch up with PCs, I was kind of hoping they'd set a new benchmark. Haven't seen it for myself yet so I'll reserve judgement for now..

Andy

16. Arkham Insane

Arkham Insane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    its unusual that microsoft will not have hdmi/dvi or backwards compatabilty as by all account the nintendo revolution will most definately have backwards compatability and probabaly a hdmi port. the fact that microsoft (seemingly) have choosen not to include these also having a good idea that the revolution will be more powerful, have better graphics, and also incorporate some sort of 'revolution' into the console market is strange. They probably want as many sales as possible before the other big 2 are released next year but is it not resonable to assume that the other two will finaly be a lot better than the 360? im a little dissapointed by the xbox. all said im a nintendo fan (as you have probably guessed) so this only clears the road to the top for them again. :)

17. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not for the UK it wont, wont be enough racing games on the revo for our chaveys :)

18. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    3 Day ban for calling me a chav :D Not all racing fans are chavs you know? ;)

Got to say the game i'm most looking forward to at launch is PGR3 can't wait for this. Also hoping Burnout 4 will be out?

19. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Where are the videos of the games for the 360, i've only seen the our colony video?

Which is also the same video on gametrailers.com.

:lease:

Just found loads of more trailers for condemned and full auto @ www.gametrailers.com

20. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    HERE and HERE are a few aswell

21. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    hehe, you know what I mean though, have you seen the UK game charts? bloody awful, currently this month? 1st a dodgy movie Licence (they always are aren't they?) 2nd a much better but not great Licence of same movie, 3rd poor Licenced sport game.

Its depressing to look at sometimes, it seems you cant sell a game these days unless its licensed or got a famous movie actor(s) in it.

22. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ok thanks

23. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
  24. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    ok the more i see thats to Colesy's links the better it looks. still not the jump i was expecting but better than initial thoughts

25. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Even if the PC is a better machine, nobody will release titles like the ones coming on the 360.
    Certain franchises that are XBox exclusives will only be seen on the box.
    I think that the graphics on the 360 are at the level of "good enough" here and I really dont see them getting much better than this for a long time and on any system.

Maybe we all saw the jump from 2D to 3D and expect something similar now, but its just not going to happen. All we will see in the coming years is more detail and larger environments together with new and improved phisics similar to what we saw in HL2.

Unless Nintendo can really create a revolution that is.

If the XBox 360 has the same or better graphics than my current PC (which is no slouch) I will easely move over to the 360.

The PC may over take the 360 in a year or so with new hardware, but im tired of the huge costs of a top of the line gaming PC. My current graphics card alone would be enough to buy a 360!

Not to mention all the problems associated with a PC. Constant patching, crashes and hardware/software conflicts toghether with windows makes for a very bad gaming experience.

If a console can provide the hardware and the graphics with plug n play abilities and no bugs then I wont bother building the next top of the line PC.

The reason why I currently preffer my PC to my XBox or PS2 is simply because games look much better. Things like AA and higher resolution setings make the PC look much better. That may no longer be the case with the next batch of consoles. The 360 proves that its possible to include AA and higer res.

PCs suck for gaming and if these new consoles have all the perks of a PC without all its problems then I wont hesitate to make the change.

Even though the PS3 and revolution arent out yet, I expect something similar from them. It will take the PC a while to over take these new consoles, and when it does we will need to fork out thousands yet again.

The biggest problem i see with the PC is that becaue everybody has a different PC and not every one has a top of the line machine, developers keep cuting games down to fit weaker systems. A good example it HL2. It could have been so much better but they ended up cutting it down to fit older cards like the radeon 9800 pros while the rest of us where out there buying X800's

Even though the PC has more possible power developers cant use it!

Recently I see more and more developers abandoning the PC in favour of consoles. Look at ubisoft. Raibow six was once a PC exclussive and now the PC is an after thought for them.
    Ranbow six 4 wont be out on the PC untill after all the current consoles get it first.

Ghost Recon 2 never even made it to the PC. GR3 will be XBOX 360 material and MAYBE we will see it on the PC.

26. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    agreed with whole post well said :thumbsup:

im sick of paying silly money for pc parts that get out dated 6 months down the line even tho i still do it :D with the new full screen AA and HD res's there really isnt alot more the pc does for games over the next gen of consoles. exclusive titles will determine what format wins the war imo.

27. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    Thought i'd post to say I agree as well.

£200? for an Xbox 360 that will games at 720p on my hopefully soon to be purchased LCD/Plasma/DLP telly = :smashin:

28. MattMcSpirit

MattMcSpirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  29. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Agree with AML too, but I like my FPS games on PC only, I cant stand the things on consoles, apart from that its looking good all we need to see now is what Nintendo and Sony are cooking up

30. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have downloaded the whole program so will have a proper look at it latter. Basically from what I have seen so far it looks like a fantastic system.

Whats most pleasing is that they have obviously listened to what people want and have tried to fit as much as possible into the new system.

Ok people wanted regargeable docks for the controllers and dvi out etc but people in the know knew this was never going to happen at the sort of price these things sell for. The new nintendo and Sony consoles definately WONT have these features.

Its first to market and it looks the part, the games in developement look brilliant I can see them selling absolutely s*(* loads of these things this Christmas. Another point to mention is that this console will have a HUGE number of exclusive titles. I was speaking to a friend recently who works for a games studio and he said Microsoft had been Poaching loads of Artists in Japan, particularly in the RPG genre. We are talking manpower here not studios. But as we all know in this business is the manpower and talent that makes the games !

The only think left to ask is how much will it cost. I guess £249 base unit £349 for premium version. Would make a great Poll !