MTS files - Edit, Create & Store?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Colin Sumner, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Colin Sumner

Colin Sumner
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am a "home movie" video head.
    I have just purchased a Canon HF R406. It produces 1920 x 1080 50p MTS files, although other options are available. I would be keen to know what process, and software, other people working with the same format are using to edit & create a final output that can be viewed on a TV from a media hard drive (see specs below).
    I have Sony Vegas 11 & Cyberlink PD 10.
    Thanks,
    Colin
    upload_2014-1-31_11-17-1.png

2. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    .MTS and .m2ts are standard formats and should be accepted by any editor. I use Corel VideoStudio which will render to any file format you require. I normally create a file that can eventually.be burnt to DVD. The created files are .mpg for SD and .m2t for AVCHD.

3. Colin Sumner

Colin Sumner
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Terfyn,
    I previously used the standard DVD mpg format when I had a Sony Handycam. Do you not lose a lot of original quality going from 1920 x 1080 50p down to a 720 x 576 25fps?
    Sony Vegas will accept the MTS files but the preview is very choppy.

4. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    What is the rendered video like? Editors do tend to degrade the preview a little.

5. Colin Sumner

Colin Sumner
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just tried rendering to the M2t & M2ts formats and the quality is quite good despite the preview being choppy. I just need to check if my media hard drive will play the files.
    To get around the bad preview I am wondering if I should convert the MTS files to MPG2 before importing them into Vegas. Do you think I will lose much quality if I keep the sizes & frame rate the same?
    It's easier to work with MPG files in Vegas.

6. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    In general I read suggestions to tick the "Match media settings" ( in Vegas/MS ) whenever possible - so I'd suggest you don't degrade the files before rendering.

Certainly something will be lost as you propose throwing-away pixels - but that can't be helped . . . . at least you can Save a good-version after Rendering. Personally, I still use DVD format although the original is 1920 x 1080 50i. - er, FWIW.

7. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    If you dont have a Blu Ray Player you are stuck with DVD which reduces your HD footage to less than mini dv resolution,if you have a BD player player[they cost little more than DVD players now]you can burn your edited films to AVCHD discs that play on BD players assuming you dont want to make Blu Ray discs.
    AVCHD discs 30m on most software at max bit rate are just burnt onto blank recordable DVD discs,Magix and Coral are two examples of software that make good AVCHD discs.
    Putting all your edited footage on Hard drive for media player playback is another alternative that some people prefer and it is still HD.

8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

Just to add a Pioneer BDP-160 Blu-ray player (circa £100) gets you a Blu-ray player and will also play 50P 1080P files over the network.

Blu-ray writers are also pretty cheap now.

If you have Sony Vegas 12, you should be able to right click on the media clips and create a proxy. The proxy is easier to edit (but lower quality), but is automatically replaced by the original files when you render.

Regards

Phil

9. Gramuk

Gramuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I tend to just edit everything in the original format 1080 50p - render the final video to 50p m2ts and dump the files on to my NAS (Synology DiskStation) - then everything is streamed over the network and instantly available (no searching or storing DVD's BR's etc.) - Great for family to access over the internet too. So I have every video since 2001 stored - as well as every photograph since 2000 stored there for instant access. Of course if the grandparents (who don't have internet) want videos then I just render the video to BR or DVD. Storing on the network means you'll actually start looking over photo's / video's more often. Unlike the old printed photo's they would just end up in storage - on the network they are instantly available directly through the smart TV.
    I do find that my sons Samsung smart TV will not play m2ts files - so he has a Panasonic network BR player connected so he can view through to his TV.
    Of course the NAS is backed up every week onto another drive - and copies also stored on my PC AND BR disk backups kept at Grandma's house - Not that I'm paranoid about hard disk drives crashing or my house burning down :)
    Graeme