1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MT8/7200 owners: barreling question...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rjs1974, Jul 16, 2003.

1. rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi guys,

Am finally on the brink of ordering a Toshiba MT8 PJ, but just wanted to check with you all as to how much of a problem the barreling effect is for you?

Is it one of those trivial things where you only really see if if you look for it, or more obvious so as to spoil the viewing experience?

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi rjs1874,

I bought a 7200 recently.

The barreling effect is quite visible but it really doesn't bother me at all.

You only notice it on true 16:9 ratio pictures. 2.35:1 and 4:3 images are only very slightly effected as the distortion is only really noticeable at the extreme edges. A 2.35:1 image only reaches the edge at the sides and only for a relatively small part so any curvature is not really noticeable.

I would suggest you play a 16:9 ratio movie at a demo and decide for yourself if it's a problem for you.

One thing I did discover is that this projector really benefits from careful setup with AVIA.

I watched Moulin Rouge last night and was blown away. The black level, contrast and colour saturartion is very good (almost 7" CRT quality).

I found that setting up with THX optomiser and Video Essentials produced a different image which was not as good.

Have fun.

p.s. of course the 7200 can't compete with a 9"CRT but it's good value for money.