MT30 vs Gallo?

jon smith

Has anyone had a chance to compare the MT30 setup and a Gallo setup (Micros or A'Divas)?

I have a Gallo micro setup at the mo, running with the B&W PV1 sub (through an Arcam AVR250). I've considered changing over to the B&W MT1s (to get the full MT30 setup). Would this offer an improvement over the micros?

The only other real option i've considered is changing the micros over to Micro Ti's or A'Diva Ti's (the A'divas are nearly twice the price of the B&W or Micro though). Sub/Sats are the only real option and most other small systems have been discounted for aesthetic reasons - Tannoy arenas, M&K, Monitor audio Radius etc.

Any advice would be appreciated?

Endeavour

Novice Member
I would like to hear opinions on this too and maybe chuck the KEF3005s into the mix for good measure.

I already have a PV1 and would be interested to know whether it was as good a match sonically with the Gallo's as it is visually.

PeteD64

Novice Member
I would be surprised if you notice an improvement with the B&W satellites.

I've heard several demos of the Micros (& Ti version) at shows & I'm always impressed with them. I heard the B&W setup at the Bristol show this year & while it sounded ok it didn't have the wow factor that the Gallos do for me.
I own a pair of A'Divas so I might be slightly biased but then again I've got some old B&W floorstanders as well.

What about replacing your centre speaker with a Due & maybe A'diva Ti on the front? Keep a pair of the Micros for rears.

Personally I don't really like the look of the B&W satellites either, much prefer the AG spheres.

Sulis

Standard Member
Jon - what is it that you're missing with your current setup?

I am thinking about the A'Diva Tis for the fronts, Micro Tis for the back and the PV1 for the looks... :) Together with the Arcam you ought to have a pretty sweet system already, but I guess the crossover from the PV1 to the old Micros might be a bit of a stretch.

jon smith

Sulis said:
Jon - what is it that you're missing with your current setup?

.... but I guess the crossover from the PV1 to the old Micros might be a bit of a stretch.
Hi fella, that's probably it in a nutshell - i'm keen to lower the crossover to the sub if possible. I've heard good things about the Ti's, just not sure if they're worth the extra...

I am edging towards 3 A'Diva Ti for the fronts and keeping micros at the rear though. The A'Divas Ti are fairly expensive compared to the micros though (considering the same driver is used).

The old (non Ti) A'Divas were better than the micros, as I used to own some, but I was never convinced they were worth that much extra over the micros (not sure if this is the same with the newer versions though).

I guess the B&W speakers cropped up in my thinking cos I already have the sub (they are also supposed to crossover lower and are only £125 per speaker - the same as a Micro Ti).

Sulis

Standard Member
Thanks, Jon - I'd be interested in your final decision, as it's pretty close to my planned system. As I said, I was going for the PV1 as much for aesthetic reasons as aural – how do you find it? I was unconvinced by the old Gallo sub (it felt 'woofly' to me), but I haven't heard the new ones.

Finally, how is the Arcam with the Gallos? I was going to go for the 250 as well...

jon smith

Will do... the Arcam is very good (especially with music). I am already looking at getting an AVR300 or AVR350 though.

The PV1 is great (I paid £500 2nd hand). It's definitely worth what I paid, not sure if it's worth the full retail price though (it is expensive).